Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Miss Bridget Fonda (Two Moon in the Gutter Video Uploads)



I miss the hell out of Bridget Fonda. Seriously, I miss all the charm, charisma and coolness she brought to films throughout the nineties. Never mind if she never had a breakout 'Oscar deserving' role, and never mind if she was typically better than the films she appeared in...I miss her.
My favorite Fonda, and that's saying a lot, hasn't acted since some TV work in 2002, and she hasn't been seen on the big screen since her underrated turn in 2001's Kiss of the Dragon. With that in mind, I thought two rare interviews with her from the nineties might be in order. The first is with DL and it's a real charmer. Bridget is obviously nervous but the two are clearly having a blast. At the top of her career here (Jackie Brown had just come out, speaking of award deserving performances) and she talks of her work and her famous family. It's a great clip...



The next one also has its charms although it features one of the most annoying talk-show hosts in history. Bridget is promoting Paul Schrader's Touch here and shares an extremely funny story involving Christopher Walken and Elvis. Classic, and damn isn't she adorable?



Bridget's recent appearance at the Oscars show that she hasn't aged a bit and I wish some young hot shot director would give her an offer she couldn't refuse with a great part, but even if she never makes another film I will always value the work I had the pleasure to spend lots of hours with in my twenties...I'm glad I held onto these clips and I hope they might bring a nice smile and trigger a sweet memory to someone else.

11 comments:

J.D. said...

I always liked her in films like SINGLES and LAKE PLACID where she brought a special something to what could have been thankless roles.

TWISTED FLICKS said...

Agreed, I wish she had been in more movies. I really loved her in Jackie Brown ... "wanna f#%$?" .. hehe, classic scene. What would you say was her best role ?

Keith said...

I watched Kiss of the Dragon and Jackie Brown both again not long ago. I was wondering whatever happened to her.

Joe Valdez said...

Bridget Fonda was such a gifted comedienne. I know she appeared in melodramas, thrillers and action movies, but she soared playing girls in elevators, waitresses or goofy vixens. Like Shirley MacClaine or Madeline Kahn, you don't really appreciate women like this until they go away.

If I were a hotshot screenwriter, I would write Fonda a great part and not hesitate to go to Mira Sorvino if Fonda turned it down.

Thanks for posting those interviews, Jeremy.

J.D. said...

Best role? Hmm... It's a rather obvious choice but I always thought she was fantastic in SINGLE WHITE FEMALE. She made an interesting contrast to Jennifer Jason Leigh's whack-job.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks all for the comments.

Twisted Flicks: Along with Jackie Brown, my favorite roles she had were Bodies, Rest and Motion and Point of No Return. I really love her in everything she appeared in even when the films weren't up to par...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
One of my favorite things about Bridget is her love for horror movies. There is a great story about her freaking out with excitement on the set of SWF after she found out she was being photographed by the guy who shot Suspiria. She is so freaking cool, it's not even funny.

Dave S said...

i'm a big fan of her work too. it'd be great to see her back on the screen.

i remeber hearing a story about how she and tarantino were talking about remaking fulci's 'the psychic'/'seven keys in black'. though i'm not a big fan of remakes, that would've been interesting.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Dave,
That's right...she's a big Italian Horror fan and she really wanted to remake The Psychic. Like you, I don't typically welcome remakes but I would throw a party if Tarantino would do it for her. Thanks for commenting!

Amanda By Night said...

Yeah, I read that she was a huge Argento fan.

I always assumed she dropped out because she married Danny Elfman and was just enjoying her marriage. She dated some interesting men in her life... she's got great taste. I'm not sure anything could lure her back...

I've always LOVED her. She's SO beautiful (in a Claudia Jennings way, now that I think about it) and talented. I first saw her in Aria and never forgot. I think I'd say Singles and Jackie Brown are my favorite films, but dude, wasn't Scandal fantastic?

mg said...

Ever since SINGLES I've wanted her and Campbell Scott to do a really great character piece written just for them. Alas, I suppose that will never happen. She'll always be one of my favorite actresses, too. Thanks for posting.