Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cinema's Great Faces: Alain Delon and Marianne Faithfull in Girl on a Motorcycle (1968)

After being frustratingly out of print for the better part of this decade, Jack Cardiff's wonderfully evocative and sometimes surreal Girl on a Motorcycle has thankfully been re-released by Redemption on DVD. Of the film's many pleasures, perhaps my favorite is its absolute adoration of the extraordinarily beautiful faces of its stars Marianne Faithfull and Alain Delon. Faithfull and Delon were both at the peak of their physical beauty in 1968 and Cardiff and co-cinematographer René Guissasrt capture them incredibly well. As a tribute to the film, Cardiff, his two stars and Redemption's new DVD here is a visual tribute featuring fifty stills I have captured from the new disc...surely one of the most aesthetically pleasing posts I have presented here. Enjoy and seek out the film if you haven't seen it. Also, may I please recommend Kimberly Lindberg's wonderful articles on the film at Cinebeats for fellow fans.


















































4 comments:

Kimberly Lindbergs said...

Thanks for the mention Jeremy! Love the stills you posted.

I miss chatting with you lately. Even though I try to keep up with blogs I enjoy reading I rarely have time to leave comments anymore. As always, love what your sharing here!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I miss communicating with you as well and I am also sorry I don't have much time to comment anymore. I continue to love everything you do at Cinebeats and the links are no problem!

sexykino said...

Once again you post an appreciation of a neglected film with an unschooled central performance by a beautiful but unusual female. A man after my own heart! I find this to be a pretentious and ultimately frivolous movie, but I love every frame, regardless. Jack Cardiff's cinematography is jaw-dropping stuff, Marianne Faithful is mouth-watering and that ending! Although his short career as a director is uneven, GIRL... and FREAKMAKER (aka THE MUTATIONS) are visually luxurious blasts of exploitation goodness.
---
UNRELATED QUESTION: Is there a reason why the Name/URL comment option is blocked on your FASCINATION page?

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks SexyKino. I appreciate the comments and agree with your thoughts.
I will check the settings over at Fascination and see what is up...thanks for letting me know.