Friday, July 17, 2009

Drew Barrymore's Whip It: The Trailer


I know I am not the only one my age who literally feels like they grew up with Drew Barrymore. After all, I have been a fan since I saw E.T. at theaters in 1982 when I was nine years old, and I clearly recall the stickers of Drew I had on my elementary school folders. I'm still a huge fan of her work and have found her career one of modern American films most inspiring, so I am extremely excited she has decided to take a shot a directing.



This is the trailer to Whip It, Drew's first film as a director...a roller derby epic no less starring Ellen Page as a character delightfully named Bliss Cavendar. Drew herself co-stars as Smashley Simpson and the film also features Arrested Development's great Alia Shawkat, Marcia Gay Harden, Zoe Bell and several terrific SNL alumni. The film looks terrifically funny and fresh, and the image of Drew doing research by watching seventies works like Kansas City Bomber and Unholy Rollers gives me great joy. Whip It comes out in early October and I hope it is a big success for one of modern cinema's most loved and admired figures.

3 comments:

J.D. said...

Ah, this looks like it will be a lot of fun. I certainly agree with you about Barrymore. I've always been a fan and still feel that RIDING IN CARS WITH BOYS to be her best performance to date and that seemed to get so little recognition which is a damn shame.

She and Ellen Page seem like a good fit and it's great to see Andrew "Futureman" Wilson as their coach. Loved his lines at the end of the trailer. heh.

Keith said...

That looks awesome. I can't wait. I love Drew.

Anonymous said...

Whip It looks fantastic.
I can't wait to see this.

Has a good cast.
I'm lovin that Zoe Bell is in it among others.

Yay for Drew. It feels like she has been around longer than she has. She is awesome. I love Drew.
I hope the movie does well too.