Friday, July 31, 2009

My Fincher File


Thanks to everyone who has voted so far in the David Fincher Directors Poll. It's still going strong and I will keep it running through part of next week. I have had a few folks ask me what my favorite Fincher films are, so I thought I would throw out a quick list. Since he is one of my favorite modern directors I find something of value in all of his films, even in the couple that I thought were disappointing. A couple of quick notes...I have only seen The Game once and my opinion of it might be much higher now, also I much prefer Fincher's much maligned Alien 3 over Cameron's Aliens, a work that I always felt diminished the great horrific impact of the original. Finally, weak final portion aside, I will always really dig Panic Room. So here's my list of favorites from Finch in order:

1:


2:


3:


4:


5:


6:


7:


Keep Your Own Votes Coming!

6 comments:

spartickes said...

I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Alien 3 better than Aliens. No wonder I dig your blog.

fate said...

HI..
some opinion on your "Fincher File"Fincher is a great filmaker.the only film of his I have not seen is Benjamin Button.

While I do consider Seven a classic,I do not like the fact that serial killers are portrayed as entertainment icons.Seven added on to this weird&dark phenomenon.

You are right about Alien 3.After watching it,I knew it would not be a hit because it was too mature.Sigourney put in one of her best performances in this film.
Zodiac was a great anti seven film.I think Fincher made this film with that idea in mind.the killer was not some brillant disturbed genius but just what he was a cold hearted criminal.I was disappointed that Zodiac was ignored by many film fans.

Years ago..I was hoping that Fincher would do Batman.maybe he will someday?

Thanx for this blog!

Steve Langton said...

Interesting choices. With you all the way re Alien 3 v Aliens.
Must give Panic Room a 3rd go. Very well made, but the least of his work to date, I'd say.

J.D. said...

Interesting that you ranked PANIC ROOM so highly. I dig it but it seems like a minor film in his canon. It's entertaining enough but lacks the gravitas of his best work.

As for ALIEN 3, I will have respectfully disagree. I found the film to be a muddled mess, which is not surprising considered that it was a compromised project from the word go. And the fact that Fincher continues to distance himself from it is proof in the pudding, as they say.

Having said, that, I'd be curious to know what you think of THE GAME if you get a chance to watch it again. It's a brilliant film in some respects and one I hope to revisit on my blog some time soon.

Paul Arrand Rodgers said...

Panic Room is his most underrated, IMO. Love that movie. Love, love, love it.

Olga said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your blog. Check out my movie label:
http://whereareyouolga.blogspot.com/search/label/movies