Monday, August 3, 2009

A Great Voice Silenced



The Memphis Commercial Appeal has posted the sad news that Rock legend Billy Lee Riley has passed away after a battle with cancer at the age of 75. Riley was a true American original and one of the most important, if often overlooked, Rock Pioneers of the fifties. Riley's best known song, the still smoking "Red Hot", is one of early Rock's great masterworks. Riley was a heavy influence on many that followed, including Bob Dylan (who covered the song below in 1978) and he will be missed. My best to his family and friends.



3 comments:

Krauthammer said...

Well shit, I've always liked Riley and agree that he's been unfairly looked over. But I'll admit to feeling some sense of relief because when I saw the title and the sun record I thought that Jerry Lee had passed, and he's one of the few deaths that I would actively mourn.

Tommy Salami said...

your gal ain't diddly squat :(
RIP, Billy Lee

Wyman Stewart said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who took note of the passing of Billy Lee Riley. Although I am a little short on readers, my hope is youngsters will one day discover my notation of him, then latch on to his great music. Thanks for helping me to not feel so alone in keeping his name and music alive.