Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Guaranteed to Blow Your Mind: 21 Favorite Film Scores (2000-2009)

Continuing my countdown of my cinematic favorites from this decade, here are my choices for the 22 best scores of the past ten years. The only rule that I set for this list is that each composer could only be represented by one score, otherwise artists like Clint Mansell, David Holmes and especially Jon Brion would have overrun the list. These 22 scores represent not only my favorite film music of the decade but some of my favorite albums in recent memory. Also, while some of these amazing soundtracks contain chosen songs I only based my vote on the original scores.

1. The Fountain by Clint Mansell



2. I Heart Huckabees by Jon Brion



3. Sleepless by Goblin



4. Solaris by Cliff Martinez



5. Ocean's Thirteen by David Holmes



6. About a Boy by Badly Drawn Boy



7. Girl With the Pearl Earring by Alexandre Desplat



8. Sex and Lucia by Alberto Iglesias



9. Malena by Ennio Morricone



10. Trouble Every Day by Tindersticks



11. Amelie by Yann Tiersen



12. CQ by Mellow



13. Femme Fatale by Ryuichi Sakamoto



14. Dark Water by Angelo Badalamenti



15. 21 Grams by Gustavo Santaolalla



16. The Last Lullaby by Ben Lovett



17. Hostel Part Two by Nathan Barr



18. Planet Terror by Robert Rodriguez



19. Gladiator by Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard



20. The Royal Tenenbaums by Mark Mothersbaugh



21. Process by John Cale



22. It's All About Love by Zbigniew Preisner

15 comments:

J.D. said...

Good call on PLANET TERROR! A very Carpenter-esque score. I would also rank all of David Holmes' work for the entire OCEAN'S series as some of the best of the decade.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD, It really is like this amazing lost Carpenter score...and man it was rough just selecting one OCEAN score as they are all so incredible. Thanks again.

Maja said...

tindersticks, tindersticks, tindersticks...
from opening scene and THE song i just knew that it couldn't possibly be a bad movie. and i don't recall a movie score having such an impact on me as that one did. seriously haunting.
jonny greenwood's work for "there will be blood" was also pretty powerful stuff.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Maja,
Yes that Tindersticks score is flat out amazing. It actually should have been higher on the list. THERE WILL BE BLOOD actually slipped my mind. It is an amazing score as well...thanks for the comments!

mkbuzzell said...

A very interesting list indeed! So many great ones there. A few I would have loved to see on it - John Murphy's 28 DAYS LATER and Craig Armstrong's THE QUIET AMERICAN among them...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Matthew,
I actually haven't heard either one of those scores so thanks for the tips. I will seek both of them out...

2vs8 said...

good call, i have many of those for the same reasons... i have "cq" though i never really have listened to it all the way...

and by the way....

hey, i did an exclusive interview with "Howlin’ Wolf Records" about their upcoming score release "SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT" [1974]... please come check it out, i told them i would tell all my blog friends to take a look...

thanks friends and happy holidays!
jeremy [2vs8]

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks 2VS8,
Give that CQ soundtrack a spin. It's really a splendid and great listen.

Also, thanks for the heads up about SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT score and interview. I will absolutely check it out.

Keith said...

These are some really good ones. I was listening to Gladiator just the other night. I hope you're having a great week.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I hope you are as well.

Will Errickson said...

ROYAL TENENBAUMS, most perfect use of a Ramones song in a movie ever! So exciting to see it in the theater, and hear "Judy is a Punk" come blasting out of the speakers during Gwyneth's backstory.

Jeremy Richey said...

Agreed Will,
I think all the song selections on that film are just perfect. I remember hearing somewhere that The Ramones sequence was originally supposed to be a Beatles track ("I'm Looking Through You" I think) but Anderson couldn't get the rights...

DJ Talbot said...

Goosebumps from reading this list...so similar to one I might have compiled! Sex and Lucia by Alberto Iglesias has been fused into my DJ sets. "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" really moved me. Marco Beltrami's work is also memorable. Great post!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much DJ Talbot. I have to say that I am hugely impressed that you use some of the Sex and Lucia soundtrack in your sets...that is very cool!

chainedandperfumed said...

Nice to see CQ getting some love. Why is that film not more widely seen?