Thursday, December 31, 2009

"I Won't Let You Leave My Love Behind." (My Favorite Documentaries of the Decade)

Here is a list of my favorite documentaries of the decade. Most of these, not surprisingly, are film and music related but I also included a couple covering some different topics from the ones I typically approach here at Moon in the Gutter. Some of my favorite films are documentaries, and these are all incredible and moving works that manage to be as informative as they are enlightening.

James Toback’s Tyson (2008)



Matthew Buzzell’s Tell Me Do You Miss Me (2006)



Marina Zenovich's Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008)



Michael Moore’s Bowling For Columbine (2002)



Stanley Nelson's Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple (2006)



Fenton Bailey and Randy Barbato's Inside Deep Throat (2005)



Charles de Lauzirika's Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner (2007)



Greg Whiteley's New York Doll (2005)



Kenny Ortega's Michael Jackson's This is It (2009)



Martin Scorsese’s No Direction Home (2005)



Rob Zombie’s 30 Days of Hell: Making The Devil's Rejects(2005)



John Dower's Live Forever (2003)



Christopher Bird and Kevin Brownlow's Garbo (2005)



Sacha Gervasi's Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2009)

2 comments:

mkbuzzell said...

Honored and humbled I am. Dean, Britta, Sean, and Lee have all been linked and alerted to this. They are likewise honored to be in such grand company. Thank you for remembering us.

Steve Langton said...

Very good list, Jeremy.
Tyson, New York Doll, Anvil, Dangerous Days would all make my list; the latter is one of the great DVD docs.
Always a real pleasure to read your thoughts/