Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wender's Paris, Texas Now Out on Criterion


I couldn't let the week slip by without mentioning that Wim Wender's astounding 1984 film Paris, Texas has just been released as part of the prestigious Criterion Collection. This set has been greatly anticipated by a lot of folks, myself included, who consider Wender's film among the best ever made and I am thrilled that it is finally out. The two-disc set contains everything from a great commentary track from Wenders to appreciations from filmmaking fans like Allison Anders and Claire Denis. It also contains a documentary, deleted scenes and a written contribution from Nastassja Kinski, who delivers one of my all-time favorite performances in the film. I highly recommend the set, which can be ordered from Amazon here.
Also out this week are two of my favorite films from 2009, Drew Barrymore's terrific Whip It and the moving Michael Jackson concert film This Is It.

8 comments:

Jeffrey Goodman said...

Thanks so much for the heads-up! I'm also a huge fan of Wenders' film and absolutely have to have this.

J.D. said...

Yes, it is great to see Criterion giving the deluxe treatment to this wonderful film. I haven't had a chance to go through all of the extras but I was blown away by the transfer. The film has never looked better!

dfordoom said...

I loved Paris, Texas, so I'm very tempted by this. Unfortunately it's way out of my price range at the moment, given the costs of overseas shipping.

Jake said...

I got a great deal on Barnes & Noble with this and some other Criterion Blus (Che, 8 1/2, Pierrot le Fou), but of course now I must suffer the crippling incompetence of B&N's shipping. I ordered Che a week and a half ago and still haven't gotten it, and for some reason B&N split my order for the rest into three different shipments, all of which have been delayed. I can't wait to get my hands on this: after seeing once a few months ago it made a strong case to appear somewhere on my favorites list, and revisiting it will likely only confirm it.

Knarf Black XIV said...

And for those of us without patience. It's available in HD on Netflix Instant watch. Woo-hoo!

I'm still peeved I missed it in theaters back in college.

Steve Langton said...

Indeed, this is one of the all-time greats. I recall catching Paris, Texas opening weekend at the cinema after reading in the NME that David Bowie just kep going back to the cinema to see it again and again.

I'll have to import the Criterion DVD, for sure. Crying shame they region-lock their Blu's though.

dfordoom said...

"Crying shame they region-lock their Blu's though."

In Australia I know there are a couple of all-region Blu-Ray players on the market. I have no idea how well they work, or if such things are available elsewhere. Personally I'm not interested in Blu-Ray, but for those who are it might be worth investigating.

Mike Lippert said...

As always, I'm glad to see that Criterion is giving Wenders some love. I unfortunatly picked up a copy of this on DVD a few years ago and not sure I have the money to upgrade, but what I would like to see from Criterion is some love given to earlier Wenders films like Alice in the Cities and Kings of the Road, which, to my knowledge, have never been on DVD in North America. Here's to hoping.