Friday, July 23, 2010

Hannie Caulder Hits DVD Tuesday

There's all kinds of great new and archival releases hitting DVD and Blu-Ray right now, but I wanted to give special mention to Burt Kennedy's terrific 1971 western Hannie Caulder, which finally hits Region 1 DVD Tuesday. This wonderfully inventive film stars Raquel Welch and Robert Culp (both of whom are quite brilliant) as well Strother Martin, Jack Elam and Ernest Borgnine. The film has been a long-time personal favorite of mine and I am really happy to see it finally hitting disc after years of being out of print. Check it out if you haven't seen it before or give it another look if it has been awhile. The disc, sadly, has no extras but I have heard the transfer is sharp so I will be more than happy to finally ditch my old laserdisc copy.

6 comments:

dfordoom said...

I've become quite a fan of Raquel Welch recently, and I'm definitely a fan of offbeat westerns, so this looks like a must-buy.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks D,
I really hope you enjoy it! Raquel is fabulous in it and I don't think she ever looked better.

mordi said...

i need to visit this blog more often - it's so interesting - i love it!

W.B. Kelso said...

The villainous trio of Borgnine, Elam and Martin can't be beat.

"I told you I was cleaning my gun!" Love that line.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much Mordi! I really appreciate those nice words.

I agree W.B. What a cast!

le0pard13 said...

Yeah, this one is way overdue on disc and is highly underrated as a western. It's sad to think, but the studio may have gotten off its butt with regard to this due to Robert Culp's untimely death. And, he's one of my all-time favorite actors. Everybody is very good in this, too. Thanks for this.