Tuesday, April 2, 2013

We Have Lost Jesús Franco Manera

 
 
Many of us are more than a little saddened, shook-up and stunned this morning by the loss of the great Jess Franco, one of the great, and absolute, auteur's the world of cinema has ever known.  I am at a loss for words to describe the impact Franco, his life and his films have had on me in the last twenty years since I discovered them thanks to Tim Lucas and Video Watchdog.  I adored this man and his unique cinematic dreams have haunted mine like few others. 
It's a heartbreaking loss but the thought of Jess back together with his two greatest muses, Lina and Soledad, in a sweet distant otherworld should bring us all comfort.  We love and miss you Jess and thank you for your great mad genius and spirit. 

3 comments:

Kevin J. Olson said...

Yup. Sad sad sad. I've got my queue lined up for an all-night Franco Fest when I get home from work. Beautiful eulogy, Jeremy.

Steve Langton said...

Terribly sad news. The first Franco film I saw was Venus In Furs on a grainy 3rd gen video, and this launched me on a wonderful journey that still has many miles to go. RIP a true great.

Blofeld's Cat said...

Maybe Tim Lucas will write a magnum opus book about Franco now