Monday, April 2, 2007

Scott Frank's The Lookout



I typically don't like to write about films right after I see them, because inevitably my initial thoughts will change upon re-viewings so i am always hesitant to throw out a quick definitive opinion.
I will say though that I highly recommend the new film by screenwriter Scott Frank called THE LOOKOUT. It is an uncommonly good film to see this early in the year and is proof positive that actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of the most talented working today.
This is Frank's first film as director after many interesting screenplays, including the legendary OUT OF SIGHT. He's got a real director's eye and even though the film does have a slightly disappointing second half it still plays out as a splendid study of lost identity and missed chances.
The great cast includes Jeff Daniels, Matthew Goode, Isla Fisher and in a small role my beloved Carla Gugino (who is pictured here at the film's premiere).
So take this not as a review but a recommendation to a really interesting new film. I'll look forward to the dvd and re-viewing it. I have a strong feeling that this film will hold up, I hope Frank continues to direct.

No comments: