Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Artist and Muse #18

There are very few films in this world that give me greater joy than Jean-Pierre Jeunet's AMELIE. It is hard for me to believe that it has already been over five years since this wondrous French film played in American theaters. The excitement it generated at the time is still fresh in my mind and watching a French subtitled film playing so well in even smaller American communities was incredible. I hope to one day see it in a theater again.
I've watched AMELIE many times and it still gives me the same sense of discovering something special with each viewing...simply put, this is one film I will never tire of.
Audrey Tautou was one of the decade's great discoveries and, the incredibly lame DA VINCI CODE excepted, she has had a very interesting career since AMELIE. I have really admired that she has continued to make mostly French films and hasn't gone the route of mainstream Hollywood, a community that often seems to suck the life out of the greatest European talent.
Jeunet is currently working on LIFE OF PI and was last heard from with the underrated and worthwhile A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT, which also starred Tautou.
Here are two photos of Jeunet and Tautou on the set of Amelie that were included in some of the original French promotional material. I might write more on AMELIE one day but I suspect that I would be disturbed by the fact that the time spent writing about it could be used on watching it again. If you haven't seen it, do so...to quote one of the film's original tag lines, "She'll change your life."



Amelie is my favorite Jean-Pierre Jeunet film. The movie is sweet, but smart and very lyrical. It has something that I personally feel Jeunet's other films lacked. Maybe the addition of Tautou is what is so special about it?

Jeremy Richey said...

I think Tautou has a lot to do with the special feeling it has. I'm not a big fans of Jeunet's early work either but I did like his "A Very Long Engagement", but "Amelie" is the film.
Thanks for the comments.