Thursday, July 5, 2007

Adventures In Modern French Music #1: Coralie Clement


Toward the top of my favorite albums of the decade are the two fairly astonishing solo albums by French singer Coralie Clement. The two albums, 2001's SALLE DES PAS PERDUS and 2005's BYE BYE BEAUTE, are both collaborative efforts between Coralie and her incredibly talented brother Benjamin Biolay and they are major works. At times harking back to Coralie's biggest inspirations like Francoise Hardy and Serge Gainsbourg, yet always sounding totally fresh and unique, these two records are unfortunately becoming harder and harder to find in the States. Even more disconcerting is the fact that Clement's official website disappeared earlier this year and her MySpace page is now listing her next album as not coming out till late 2008.
Perhaps it shouldn't be disconcerting for an artist to take their time in crafting their next work but the disappearance of her official site had me more more than a little concerned for the much anticipated third album, which will apparently be called TOY STORE.


SALLE DES PAS PERDUS is a remarkable debut that features a beguiling mix of samba, jazzy pop and some of the sweetest vocals of the decade. The follow up BYE BYE BEAUTE is a much more plugged in electric offering that is perhaps even more rewarding, with the essential Mojo magazine placed it near the top of their 2005 best albums of the year issue.


This decade has been a remarkably fruitful one for French music and I am thinking of doing some major pieces on some of my favorites from the past five years. Right now I just wanted to recommend both of Clement's fascinating records and say how much I am looking forward to the new one. Apparently both albums have slipped out of print in the States but used copies are available and I highly recommend snatching them up if you can track them down. Coralie's MySpace lists the anticipated release date of new album as the Fall of 08.

6 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Hey Jeremy! I had never heard of Coralie Clement before. Thanks for introducing her to me. Wow. She's both beautiful and talented. I loved both videos you posted, but the first one was my favorite. Most of the French music I've been into so far is that of the 60's. Even there, I don't know as many artists as I wish. I guess I need someone to give me a list of great French music of the 60's to look into. I really don't know much about modern French music. I'd like to though. I could listen to French for hours upon hours. It's such a beautiful language.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
Coralie is fantastic...There has been so much great music coming out of France in the past few years. I will definately be looking at some more of my favorites...hope you find some good stuff that interests you...thanks again

colinr said...

Sorry I've not been able to comment on your music posts as I've not much experience on the subject, but I wanted to thank you a lot for them - they are fantastic!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Colin,
I appreciate that...

imriej said...

Jeremy. I, too, love Coralie's music. When I first heard her on the soundtrack to "Something's Gotta Give", I raced out to buy her CD. Nice to see other english-speaking fans. BTW,love the name of your blog, too. Been a fan of Beineix fo awhile. Still feel the film got a bum rap critically.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for the nice comment Imriej. I'm glad to hear that Coralie has other English language fans as well.
Glad to also hear the Beineix film as fans still around too...I am currently working on a side project blog on Nastassja Kinski and will be eventually covering many different aspects of "Moon In The Gutter"...hope you will check it out and will hopefully find it interesting.
Thanks again...