Monday, July 30, 2007

Serrault and Beart

I am frankly overwhelmed right now with what has become a very dark July 30th. So in tribute to the great Michel Serrault, who also joined Ingmar Bergman and Tom Snyder in the great unknown today, I will just offer this one image from my favorite film of his.

Here is Michel staring longingly at the lovely back of Emmanuelle Beart in Claude Sautet's memorable and haunting 1995 feature NELLY AND MONSIEUR ARNAUD. I can still remember how touched I was by both Michel and Emmanuelle's work in this film when I saw it in an empty Kentucky theater back in the Fall of 95. Today I would like nothing more than to be back in that little theater twelve years ago, surrounded only by the flickering images of what has too soon become just a memory.

No comments: