Saturday, September 8, 2007

My Article On Larraz's Symptoms at Amplifier


My new Amplifier article is up if anyone would like to come over and give a look. This one is on another great lost film of the seventies, Jose Larraz's VAMPYRES follow up, SYMPTOMS.
I first read about this startling film in the great Tohill and Tombs book IMMORAL TALES back in the mid nineties and I secured a copy from Craig Ledbetter's European Trash Cinema shortly after. It is a film that I admire greatly and I find its current missing in action status very disappointing.
I invite anyone to come over and read my thoughts on the film and comments are very appreciated over there so leave a note if you can.
The direct link is below and I will provide a permanent link for Amplifier over to the right.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/articles/2007/09/08/the_amplifier/stage_and_screen/9970undervaluedclassics-symptoms.txt

Thanks.

3 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I'm going to go check it out now. Never heard of this film before, so I'm interested in learning some about it.

mike said...

Hey Jeremy;
excellent review/article there. I enjoy Larraz' films a lot, and would rate Symptoms only below Coming of Sin, which I consider his utter masterpiece.

I find your comparisons to REPULSION and FULL CIRCLE interesting; I've never consciously made the connection but can see it as pretty obvious with your pointing out. However, I think Larraz' film succeeds in emphasizing the protagonist's isolated state far more than FULL CIRCLE, and in a more overwhelming way than REPULSION (I should not that I find the whole of REPULSION it self a bit underwhelming).

Any way, thanks again for your thoughts!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
Hope you enjoy the article and I love your new avatar.


Thanks Mike,
I love "Full Circle" and am going to be having a special tribute for it soon...I also meant to include Bava's "Shock" in that group but accidently left it out. "Coming Of Sin" I love and it is just under "Symptoms" and "Vampyres" for my favorite Larraz...thanks for the comments. I appreciate them.