Tuesday, October 2, 2007

The Most Beautiful Girl In Town


"Cass was the most beautiful girl in town. 1/2 Indian with a supple and strange body, a snake-like and fiery body with eyes to go with it. Cass was fluid moving fire. She was like a spirit stuck into a form that would not hold her. Her hair was black and long and silken and whirled about as did her body. Her spirit was either very high or very low. There was no in between for Cass. Some said she was crazy. The dull ones said that. The dull ones would never understand Cass."
-Charles Bukowski-

Has there ever been anyone as beautiful as Ornella Muti? So striking she is almost alien, and with a searing intensity that is almost terrifying. Ornella haunts my dreams to this day and she is one of the few people who have inhabited planet earth that I really couldn't imagine being in the same room with, Elvis, Marilyn Monroe, Alain Delon, Klaus and Nastassja Kinski are the others that come to mind.

I should write a long post celebrating Ornella Muti the actress, as she is clearly one of the most talented on the planet. One glance at her filmography, especially her films with Marco Ferreri, will tell you this. However, I am exhausted today and a bit glum so I just wanted to celebrate in a few short lines the extraordinary beauty of this woman.

I am not sure who exactly Charles Bukowski had in mind when he wrote the above lines but Marco Ferreri showed his genius when he cast Ornella as Cass in his TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS. It is a great work and like Ben Gazzara's drunken and lonely poet in the film, Ornella Muti breaks my heart every time I watch it....

So Ciao Bella...occasionally God gets everything right.
For more information on Ornella may I recommend her official website which I will link to the right. For those who haven't seen her work with Marco Ferreri I highly recommend tracking them down by any means necessary. The handful of films they made together represent one of the great, if brief, partnerships in modern cinema.

5 comments:

Ed Hardy, Jr. said...

I didn't know anyone else liked TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS. Muti is so amazingly gorgeous in the film it's literally unbelievable. I kept blinking the first time I saw it to see if she'd still be there when my eyelids popped back up.

And the scene with the hanger is something I'll never be able to forget, even if I wanted to. It's just one of those indelible cinematic images.

Joe Valdez said...

As Princess Leia, Carrie Fisher could not even hold the elevator for Ornella Muti as Princess Aura in Flash Gordon. And here I thought that was the only movie she ever made. Thanks for sharing your crush with the rest of us, Jeremy. I'm going to check out some of these Italian films at a future date. Dang.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ed,
I love TALES OF ORDINARY MADNESS. I think it is an incredibloy rich film and both Ben and Ornella are extraordinary in it...I hope to do a post on it eventually. Glad to hear you admire it as well...I agree with you about the hanger sequence as well..

Thanks Joe...definately give any of her films from the seventies you can track down a look. She is simply stunning to watch...

thanks for the comments

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I've only seen her in a couple of films, but Ornella definitely bewitched me. She's a goddess among women. What a beauty, what a talent. They just don't make them like this very often. I'll have to check her more of her work.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...Bewitched is a good word for Ornella's effect...