Thursday, November 8, 2007

Keep Passing The Open Windows


It's funny but I never completely realized how much most people dislike Tony Richardson's 1984 film THE HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE, until I started researching it for my Nastassja Kinski blog. I knew it had been received pretty poorly originally, but a quick glance at the IMDB message board for it shows a real hatred that surprises me.
I've always been very fond of the film, and consider it among the most original English language films of the eighties. I'll be beginning my look at the film in the next day or so over at Nostalgia Kinky if anyone would care to come over and give it a look.
My Kinski side project continues to be my baby, and I have gotten some great responses from it, made some new friends, and its even getting translated into Japanese for her fans in the East. It has been a really rewarding experience so far, and I wish I had more time and energy to give to it. I'm coming up on one of the most interesting segments of her career, that starts with her one two punch of MARIA'S LOVERS and PARIS TEXAS, and continues with her decision to leave English language films for a serious of really interesting foreign language productions that would take her into the early nineties. I am especially looking forward to covering these because they are mostly unavailable here in the States, and haven't been written on much.
Thanks to my Moon In The Gutter readers who have supported my look at Kinski's career so far, and I hope it has been interesting.
Here are two behind the scenes shots form HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE featuring Nastassja and Jodie Foster that are particularly charming.

5 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

This is a film that I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about. Most of the people I ever knew who watched it saw it because of Rob Lowe. I've always been curious about it since it had such a good cast. Jodie Foster is a fine actress. I look forward to your thoughts on this film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I really like the film but it is totally off the wall, and a bit hard to handle in spots. Hope you enjoy my look at it...oh, and of course I agree with you about Jodie.

scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scott said...

To me the film as a film didn't work. Some years later a good female friend of mine forced me to read the book and the characters were alot more developed and it made so much more sense. maybe I should rewatch this someday? but I too wasn't impressed either. I preferred EXPOSED to this one..

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Scott,
Oh yea, I definately prefer EXPOSED as well...HOTEL is a flawed work that it did take me a while to warm up to...but I am quite fond of it now. Richardson wanted to make two films out of it, and I think that you can tell as it does seem a little too crammed in...
Hope you find my look at interesting though....thanks for the comments...