Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Asia Argento In Olivier Assayas' Boarding Gate

I haven't seen the new film from Olivier Assayas, Boarding Gate, starring Asia Argento yet but I am greatly anticipating it. I like Assayas' films quite a bit for the most part and this one sounds pretty incredible. It gone some notoriously bad notices at Cannes last year so I was glad to stumble across this recent great review in the New York Times by Manohla Dargis. I especially like the sections in the review where Dargis correctly notes that "Argento" is "one of contemporary cinema's most fascinating creatures" and the final paragraph where Assayas' films are compared to the music of Brian Eno is particularly inspired.
Boarding Gate is apparently in limited release right now. I am really looking forward to seeing it although I suspect I will have to wait for the DVD.

8 comments:

James Hansen said...

This film is showing at the theater that I work at in New York and is doing really well. There's a decent chance (at least from the numbers we are getting from it) that it will make a limited release across the US, especially with all the praise for Argento. I haven't seen it yet, but plan to sometime relatively soon although I am (sadly) unfamiliar with Assayas' work.

Robert Monell said...

She has a unique sex appeal which I would define as a kind of imminent violence.

Steve Langton said...

Look forward to seeing this one. Watched THE STENDHAL SYNDROME again last night and she's amazingly good in this. A gifted actress.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I've heard mostly negative reaction about this film from those who've seen it. It's nice to see it get some good reviews. I love Asia. She's one of the most fascinating actresses out there today. She's also quite gorgeous and sexy. I love this poster. Wow. That alone would make me want to see this film.

J.D. said...

It also doesn't hurt that Mr. Blonde himself, Michael Madsen is also starring in this film. Even in direct-to-video crap, he is always interesting to watch.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks for the report James...let me know if you see it and your thoughts. Assayas is an interesting director who has worked in an incredibly broad amount of genres from period pieces to cyberpunk thrillers. Give him a look sometime if you get a chance...

Thanks Robert,
That is a great way to describe Asia and I agree...

Thanks Steve,
I think THE STENDAHL SYNDROM contains her best work and I am glad to see that Asia the actress has come back so strong in the past couple of years...

Hey Keith,
Check out the US one sheet over at IMDB. I think I like it even better but I couldn't find a large image of it to post...

Thanks JD,
Love Madsen as well and am always glad to see him popping up...I hear he is quite memorable in this...

olmer said...

I saw this film in france this summer.
I'm sorry but the film is not very good.
the 1st part is failed. the 2nd part in hong kong is much better with good sequences sometimes...
I prefered asia when she was younger, it's not a great role for her I think.
the best assayas film is "clean" with a STUNNING maggie cheung!
olmer

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Olmer,
I really like Irma Vep and the much maligned Demon Lover as well....Clean is pretty remarkable though...