Monday, March 10, 2008

See The Bank Job


Jason Statham is one of my favorite modern actors but I will be the first to admit that his film career, quality wise, has been really hit and miss. For every good production Statham has been involved in from the early Guy Ritchie films to The Italian Job (2003) to Crank (2006) there has been some real junk like London (2005) and In The Name Of the King (2007) thrown in for good measure. Still, whatever production he is appearing in, Statham is just amazing…exuding the charisma, good looks and strength of guys from the past like McQueen and Bronson.
I am positively thrilled to report that Jason’s newest film, The Bank Job, is a real winner and one of the best films he has ever been involved in. Directed with real pizzazz and control by Roger Donaldson and featuring great supporting work from Saffron Burrows among others, The Bank Job is a real winner and its failure at the box office is a real disappointment.

I honestly don’t know what to say about the poor performance of The Bank Job with the public. Honestly there is so little playing worth a damn right now that I am amazed by how well it didn’t do. Statham has had some huge hits, the entertaining Luc Besson written and produced The Transporter and smashing The Italian Job remake chief among them, and the critical support for The Bank Job is there but the public is just turning off right now. I just don’t get it.

I am not going to post any real thoughts on The Bank Job until I get a chance to see it again. I just wanted to throw some love to the film and Statham’s way. It’s an uncommonly intelligent and exciting modern British based crime film that harkens back to the real classics of the genre like Get Carter (1971, the year The Bank Job is set in). In fact, on first viewing I would say that The Bank Job is the best British based Crime Drama since Layer Cake (2004) and Statham has never been better. Do yourself a favor and see the film at a theater before it disappears in a couple of weeks.

7 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I don't think it's even playing in this area at all. I had wanted to see it. I'm a huge Jason Statham fan. He does remind me of those tough guy actors of the 70's and so. That's so rare today. He's made some bad movies, but also a lot of really cool ones as well. I saw an interview with him recently about this film. I was pretty excited about it. It's a shame that it's not done well at all. It doesn't surprise me. Much of what does good at the box office is crap. I have no faith in the viewing public much.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I can't comprehend some of the stuff people turn into hits but what can you do?
I hope you get to see this one...I think it is right up your alley.

Steve Langton said...

I'll be sure to check this one out just as soon as it hits DVD. THE BANK JOB was number one in the UK box office after its opening weekend, just ahead of SEMI-PRO. The script is by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, who have written some cracking stuff for cinema and for TV; a partnership that always makes me take an interest.
Can't say I'm a fan of Statham, but I'll be sure to give it a whirl. Apart from SEXY BEAST, British crime dramas of late have failed to move me, though I would suggest RISE OF THE FOOTSOLDIER is well worth seeing. Thanks for the shout re THE BANK JOB.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
I'll be curious to hear what you think of it...glad to hear it is doing better in the UK than here...

Cinebeats said...

I really want to see this since I really like Statham and I need to get rid of the bad taste that his last film with Jet Li (WAR) left in my mouth. I hope he's moved onto bigger and better things. He does look great in the clips I've seen!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
WAR was lousy wasn't it which was a real shame...I think you will like THE BANK JOB a lot...Jason is really terrific in it...

Neil Fulwood said...

Thanks for another good recommendation, Jeremy. Caught 'The Bank Job' two nights ago - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice to see Statham playing a regular character instead of the square-jawed man of action he often gets typecast as.