Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Video Watchdog Gives Eli Roth's Hostel Part 2 a Big Thumbs Up

I have been really curious since its release last year what the country's leading Genre publication, Video Watchdog, would think of of Eli Roth's controversial Hostel Part 2 so when I got the new issue yesterday and saw it mentioned on front I flipped eagerly to the review of it. I am thrilled to report that Shane M. Dallmann, one of my favorite writers from V.W., gives the film a high recommendation and his long review of it is among the best I have read.
Dallmann pretty much gives due to everything I love about the film, including how well acted it is and how it improves upon repeated viewings. I especially appreciate that Dallmann notes that the film's more gruelling horror sequences "are staged for maximum emotional effect" and later that "the horror derives equally from what's happening and from who it's happening to." two keys to the film few other critics picked up on.
Dallmann also wisely point out how much Hostel Part 2 is lovingly designed after the Italian Giallo of the seventies, with special mention going to both Sergio Martino's Torso and Aldo Lado's Night Train Murders.
All in all it is a fantastic look at a sorely undervalued film. Roth should be proud that his film has been given the seal of approval by one of Video Watchdog's best writers.
As for the rest of issue 137, I haven't had a chance to read through it all yet but it looks like another cracking one after last month's Grindhouse issue, which was one of their best ever. The cover star and moving center story belongs to The Curse Of The Cat People's Ann Carter and other reviews include looks at works ranging from Fulci's The Psychic to The Beatles in Help!


Rogue Spy 007 said...

That's great news. I really enjoyed this film. I was very disappointed with the first one. This one made up for the faults I had with the first Hostel. It was amazing. We've talked about all of that before. I felt bad that it pretty much died at the box office. It's nice to know we aren't alone among those who enjoyed this one.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
It's a great review and very cool issue...

Steve Langton said...

I rate HOSTEL II highly, as I do the first entry in this series. I'll be getting my VW fairly soon, via a store based in London and look forward to reading Shane's review. Fully agree with your comments re The Gridnhouse issue. One of my VW faves.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
Glad to hear you admire Hostel 2 as well...I think you will really enjoy the new issue.
Wasn't that GRINDHOUSE round-table discussion in the last one out of sight?