Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's 21 Grams (2003)

A new series here at Moon In The Gutter designed to celebrate my favorite films of the decade by using a series of ten stills from each.


Rogue Spy 007 said...

I need to see this again. I've only watched it once, but I highly enjoyed it. Great film.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
It will be near the top of my favorite films of the decade list...hope you enjoyed the shots I picked.

Steve Langton said...

Great choice here. This is one remarkable film. with some finely tuned performances and extremely moving in places.

Joe said...

Thanks for highlighting 21 Grams, Jeremy. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I have to confess my favorite screen shot is the one featuring Clea Duvall. She's been one of my favorite actresses of the decade and sometimes I forget how many good performances she's given. In spite of her physical allure, Duvall seems to excel at these dirt-under-the-fingernails roles that require intensity.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
I think it's one of the best acted films of the decade by everyone involved. I would have been pissed that Naomi didn't win if it wasn't for my admiration for Charlize Theron (who I have been with since film #1)...I personally think Penn should have won for this one instead of MYSTIC RIVER

Thanks Joe!
You know I am glad you mentioned that shot of Clea because I really wanted to highlight her. She's one of my favorites as well and she is always so good and no one seems to notice. I think the most devestating thing about that moment in the hospital isn't Naomi's reaction (which is played incredibly well) but Clea in the background attempting to not fall completely apart...it's an incredible moment.
Thanks for the comments!