Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Dream New Beverly Cinema Film Festival (The Twelve Movies Meme)

Femme Fatale
Ibetolis at the terrific Film for the Soul blog has tagged me with a twelve movies meme and I am more than happy to participate. For those who are unaware, this meme was started by Piper at Lazy Eye Theater and its concept is basically creating your own ideal week-long film festival for the New Beverly Cinema.

Here are the rules:
1) Choose 12 Films to be featured. They could be random selections or part of a greater theme. Whatever you want.

2) Explain why you chose the films.

3) Link back to Lazy Eye Theatre so I can have hundreds of links and I can take those links and spread them all out on the bed and then roll around in them.

4) The people selected then have to turn around and select 5 more people.

Here are my selections. I will of course change my mind on some of these immediately after posting but such is the way it goes with these sorts of lists….

Monday:

My week will kick off with a director’s night honoring the late Gordon Parks Jr. with showings of his genre busting western Thomasine and Bushrod (1974) starring Max Julien and Vonetta McGee along with his moving final feature Aaron Loves Angela (1975).

Tuesday:


My second night will feature probably my favorite double feature of Peter Weir’s hypnotic Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) and Sofia Coppola’s masterful debut The Virgin Suicides (1999).

Wednesday:

To kick off those inevitable mid-week blues let’s have a showing of Julia St. Vincent’s strange but engrossing documentary on John Holmes, Exhausted (1981), followed by a screening of the film it helped inspire, Paul Thomas Anderson’s epic Boogie Nights (1997).

Thursday:


Another one of my favorite double features is up for grabs this night with Mario Bava's audacious and chilling final feature Shock (1977) with Daria Nicolodi followed by Richard Loncraine’s stunning and woefully undervalued Full Circle (1977) starring Mia Farrow.

Friday:


Another director’s night follows with a double does of Walerian Borowczyk featuring La Marge(1976) with Sylvia Kristel and Joe Dallensandro and his ferocious masterpiece Dr Jekyll and his Women (1981) with Marina Pierro and Udo Kier.

Saturday:

Because it’s always good to close with a little confrontation, my final night features two of my favorite films of the decade, from two of my favorite directors, that I feel have been unjustly maligned by both the critics and public. I offer for my closing night, Dario Argento’s controversial and audience dividing Sleepless (2001) and then close the festival with Brian De Palma’s jaw dropping return to his roots, Femme Fatale (2002).

Wish I could have found room for a hundred others but twelve was the limit.

I’m tagging these following fellow bloggers:

1. Steve Langton at The Last Picture Show.
2. Brandon Colvin or James Hansen at Out 1.
3. Mr. Peel at Mr. Peel’s Sardine Liquer.
4. Joe Valdez at This Distracted Globe.
5. Keith at Coolness is Timeless.

My apologies if any of these fine bloggers have already been tagged in this and I only ask that they participate if they care to.

20 comments:

J.D. said...

Nice list! Sign me up for Tuesday, especially. Wow, I always felt that these two films were linked - definitely thematically so good call on that one! I mean, what can you say about PICNIC. Incredible film. Drenched in atmosphere. And VIRGIN SUICIDES. Normally, I can't stand Kirsten Dunst (or Josh Hartnett for that matter) but both are so good in this film. And it was great to see Michael Pare in there, too!

Great list, my friend.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
I've never heard Sofia mention PICNIC book the two feel so reltaed to me..check out this cover to this book (one of my favorites in my collection) on THE VIRGIN SUICIDES:
http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Suicides-Photo-Book/dp/4939102114
It looks like a still from PICNIC...
I've never warmed to Hartnet either but he's great as Trip...almost always like Kirsten though with Lux being my favorite character she has played...thanks again.

James Hansen said...

Sounds like fun to me! I'd attend all of these...and I would love to follow the meme on Out 1. Look for it in the coming days...

J.D. said...

Jeremy:

Yeah! That book cover totally reminds me of that haunting image from PICNIC where the girls are seen walking up the rock, their backs to the camera. How weird...

I liked Hartnett in SIN CITY... but otherwise, he's real hit and miss. I thought he was really miscast in BLACK DAHLIA. Ouch. As for Dunst, well she was good in the SPIDER-MAN films and DICK, of course. I just watched that again recently, thanks to your article. What a great film that is. So underrated.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks James,
I'll really be looking forward to seeing yours...

thanks again JD,
Isn't that cover wild? It still floors me...the book itself is out of sight. Sofia really takes some striking and lovely pictures...
I think my soft spot for Kirsten is due to SUICIDES and DICK...I also like her in WIMBLEDON and think she's great in both ETERNAL SUNSHINE and MARIE ANTOINETTE...

Jeremy Richey said...

A few that I thought up that didn't make the cut for those interested:

Beineix's MOON IN THE GUTTER and BETTY BLUE

ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN and DICK

NIGHT SCHOOL and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME

SOLARIS (remake) and IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE

BARBARELLA and CQ

THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT and ELVIS ON TOUR

were all some I batted around.

J.D. said...

Jeremy:

I can only imagine the kind of stills that are in the book!

I really can't argue with you on those films of Kirsten's... esp. ETERNAL SUNSHINE but I think that has more to do with my love Kate Winslet. ; )

As for your alt. double bills: can't wrong with ALL PREZ'S ME and DICK. Nice call with NIGHT SCHOOL and HAPPY B-DAY. I like that one with BARBARELLA and CQ.

Howzabout, since you're an Elvis man, VIVA LAS VEGAS and WILD AT HEART.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
Yea that Elvis and Lynch one sounds right up my alley...

Ibetolis said...

Brilliant list! Trust you to choose stuff that I wouldn't even have thought of.

I could watch all those films without a problem and in fact I'd be first in the queue (along with J.D) for Tuesday night, what a double bill.

I have a confession; I've never seen a film by Argento. That's something I have to correct straight away as I feel deeply shamed now.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ibetolis for tagging me and for the comments.
As far as Argento...definately don't start with SLEEPLESS as it is not among his most acclaimed or admired works by a long shot. I would start with THE BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE, DEEP RED, or SUSPIRIA for your first films by him...thanks again!

Ibetolis said...

Thanks for the recommendations.

He's someone I've been meaning to watch for years and now I've just got to do it.

Cheers!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ibetolis...Argento is kind of a tough one when it comes to recommending one film to start with cause he has had several distinct periods...I think BIRD WITH CRYSTAL PLUMAGE is probably the ideal one as it his first and it is obviously the work of a master...whatever you start with, I hope your first experience with Argento proves enjoyable.

Mr. Peel said...

Great choices, Jeremy! It makes me want to be more adventurous with my own list. But I'm working on it, I promise.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Mr. Peel,
I know whatever you come up with will be very special...I can't wait...thanks again.

aaron said...

I wouldn't miss that Gordon Parks, Jr. double-bill for the world!

Nor the sure-to-be-uproariously-loud bill of THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT / ELVIS ON TOUR...

Steve Langton said...

Some seriously inspired choices for your dream fest. Love to catch the Virgin/Picnic double-header.Dunst is terrific in this. Can remember first seeing her on the big screen at a midnight screening of Interview With The Vampire in London, and thought she really captured the role of Claudia.Your choices also reminded me I need to give Sleepless another try, as two viewings have failed to impress. As you say, it does get mixed reactions from Argento fans.
Thanks for thinking of me re the tagging. I'd love to participate and will try to get something done after work on Friday evening.

The King Of Cool said...

Great list. I can't complain about any of them. I would definitely be attending that film festival. Give me a few days to think up a list. Okay? I'll definitely do this. Not sure I'll be able to put a bunch of pictures in my blog post, but I think it will be a cool one. Thanks. You've got really good tastes in movies.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Aaron...yea I would love to see that Parks bill. Actually and entire retrospective of his work would be amazing.

Thanks Steve...glad to hear you admire Kirsten as well. Nice to hear from so many Sofia fans also...she is going to be featured twice in a series I have running here weekly so I hope those prove enjoyable.

Thanks Keith,
I'm looking forward to seeing your choices...don't worry about the pics...

Steve Langton said...

Just put up my own choices for the fest. Will look forward to your work on Sofia.

Jeremy Richey said...

Great choices guys...I love them.