Friday, September 5, 2008

Rachel Getting Married

rachel getting married poster
There are very few American directors that I would like to see get their groove back as much as Jonathan Demme. The director of such masterworks as Melvin and Howard, Something Wild, Married to the Mob and The Silence of the Lambs will always be a favorite in my book, but it has been a very long time since I have been excited about a new Jonathan Demme film.
I have a strong feeling that Rachel Getting Married might be the film that a lot of us Demme fans have been waiting for. Starring the very special Anne Hathaway and the much missed Debra Winger, Rachel Getting Married looks terrific and many of the early reviews have been quite celebratory in nature.



While I don't harbor the hope this will be quite the grand slam that a production like Married to the Mob or Silence of the Lambs was, I do hope that this puts Demme back on the map as one of our most original American filmmakers.

6 comments:

Steve Langton said...

I share your hopes about this film. To be honest, Silence is my least favourite of the Lector films but I know what you mean about Jonathan's earlier work. Looks very promising.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve...let's hope this film turn out to be a winner for him.
Silence is my second favorite Lector film right after the unmatchable MANHUNTER and right above the undervalued HANNIBAL...thanks again...

The King Of Cool said...

I do hope that this film turns out to be a winner. I've been interested in it since I started hearing stuff about it. Plus I'm a big fan of Anne.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith...I hope it turns out well too and I share your love for Anne.

Ned Merrill said...

Amen, Jeremy. Advance word on the film is very good so it seems as if Demme has "gotten his groove back," at least in terms of narrative feature films. It seems that Demme is very much content to make documentaries and concert films unless the right feature project comes along.

Amongst upcoming American films, I'm most looking forward to this one along with THE WRESTLER.

Still waiting on your Demme retro here. In the meantime, here's a little something I wrote about SOMETHING WILD (my favorite Demme):
http://knifeinthehead.blogspot.com/2008/02/loco-de-amour.html

Jeremy Richey said...

I promise Ned I will get to that Demme tribute eventually...maybe seeing this one will spark it. I really hope it does well for him.