Friday, November 14, 2008

Alphabet Meme

I have been tagged by both Cinema Viewfinder and Film for the Soul in the following Meme.
Here are the rules:

1. Pick one film to represent each letter of the alphabet.

2. The letter "A" and the word "The" do not count as the beginning of a film's title, unless the film is simply titled A or The, and I don't know of any films with those titles.

3. Return of the Jedi belongs under "R," not "S" as in Star Wars Episode IV: Return of the Jedi. This rule applies to all films in the original Star Wars trilogy; all that followed start with "S." Similarly, Raiders of the Lost Ark belongs under "R," not "I" as in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Conversely, all films in the LOTR series belong under "L" and all films in the Chronicles of Narnia series belong under "C," as that's what those filmmakers called their films from the start. In other words, movies are stuck with the titles their owners gave them at the time of their theatrical release. Use your better judgement to apply the above rule to any series/films not mentioned.

4. Films that start with a number are filed under the first letter of their number's word. 12 Monkeys would be filed under "T."

5. Link back to Blog Cabins in your post so that I can eventually type "alphabet meme" into Google and come up #1, then make a post where I declare that I am the King of Google.

6. If you're selected, you have to then select 5 more people.

I decided I would choose a film I dig for each letter that I haven't covered in-depth here previously. This isn't really any kind of all time favorite list (although some of these rank among my favorite films), just some titles I admire that will hopefully feature sometime here in the future.

A. The April Fools (Stuart Rosenberg)
B. Bodies, Rest and Motion (Michael Steinberg)
C. Ciao Manhattan (John Palmer and David Weisman)
D. Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel)
E. Exhibition (Jean-Francois Davy)
F. Fabulous Baker Boys (Steve Kloves)
G. Go (Doug Liman)
H. Happiness (Todd Solondz)
I. If It’s Tuesday It Must Be Belgium (Mel Stuart)
J. Jennifer Eight (Bruce Robinson)
K. Killing Zoe (Roger Avery)
L. Lord Love a Duck (George Axelrod)
M. Mr. Jealously (Noah Baumbach)
N. New Rose Hotel (Abel Ferrara)
O. Out of the Blue (Dennis Hopper)
P. Panic (Henry Bromell)
Q. Queen’s Logic (Steve Rash)
R. Racing with the Moon (Richard Benjamin)
S. Sharky’s Machine (Burt Reynolds)
T. The Tenant (Roman Polanski)
U. Umbrellas of Cherbourg (Jacques Demy)
V. Virgin Among the Living Dead (Jess Franco)
W. Waterdance (Neal Jimenez)
X. X: Man with the X-Ray Eyes (Roger Corman)
Y. You’ve Got Mail (Nora Ephron)
Z. Zoolander (Ben Stiller)

I am tagging:

Keith at Sugar and Spice
Steve at Last Picture Show
Mr. Peel at Mr. Peel's Sardine Liqueur
Ed Howard at Only The Cinema
Kimberly Lindbergs at Cinebeats

My apologies to any of them that have already been tagged...

9 comments:

Tony Dayoub said...

Great list. I'm especially simpatico with you on: Fabulous Baker Boys, Jennifer Eight, Out of the Blue, Sharky's Machine (a personal favorite, especially now that I live in Atlanta and see that climactic building everyday), and The Tenant.

MovieMan0283 said...

Wow, I have seen exactly two of these films (and that's not You've Got Mail or, I'll admit it, Zoolander. Or at least not in full.) On my way to Netflix...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Tony,
Man isn't Sharky's Machine just terrific? And I am glad to hear that I am not the only Jennifer Eight fan in the world.

Thanks Movieman,
I hoped that my selection of You've Got Mail (a film I really enjoy) would be one of the great WTF moments ever on Moon in the Gutter.

Thanks to you both for the comments...

MovieMan0283 said...

Come to think of it, I'm kind of surprised you didn't choose the X-Files sequel after you championed it.

Steve Langton said...

Nice electic choices, Jeremy. Cheers for the tag. I'll be on it after I get back from work this evening.

Keith said...

Hey Jeremy. That's a great list. I see you've tagged me. I'll have to come up with a list in the next couple of days. Take care.

Cinebeats said...

I don't know if I'll have time to compile my own list anytime soon but thanks for the invite.

I look forward to your future posts on Ciao Manhattan, Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Happiness. The Tenant Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Virgin Among the Living Dead and X: Man with the X-Ray Eyes. I enjoy all these films! Killing Zoe has grown on me over the years so I suspect your post about it will only full my interest to see it again.

Ibetolis said...

An eclectic and fascinating list; precisely the reason why I tagged you as I knew you would come up with a list quite unlike anyone else.

Nice to see 'Go' getting the love, an unappreciated and underrated film in my opinion and a great double bill with 'Swingers'.

Brilliant choices throughout, especially 'The Tenant', 'Happiness' and 'X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes' (I can't believe I forgot this choice for X)

Rupert Pupkin said...

Jeremy-Waaay late to this party, but glad I got to see your list. Had asked you if you wanted to do one, but you already did! and it's a stellar list as I would expect from you sir!