Thursday, February 26, 2009

M.I.A. on Region 1 DVD Tribute Month (Film 26) Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Abel Ferrara's Go Go Tales (2007)

Currently only available on DVD in Europe, Go Go Tales (2007), Abel Ferrara's stunning updating of John Cassavetes The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is arguably the great maverick director's finest film since The Addiction (1995). Featuring one of the great ensemble casts of the decade (Willem Dafoe, Asia Argento, Bob Hoskins, Matthew Modine, Sylvia Miles, Burt Young, Lou Doillon, and an extraordinary Stefania Rocca), Ferrara's caustic black comedy stands among his greatest and most humane works. Its current absence in the States is a slap in the face to one of our greatest and most daring filmmakers.










5 comments:

Hans Adams said...

Absolutely beautiful images. I love Ferrara and I think I'll have to spring for the Region 2 of this one. I also absolutely love his film, Blackout. A hauntingly beautiful film. Hans.

Joe said...

Yes, it's excellent, but I also thought Mary was quite good - and also M.I.A. on R1 DVD.

J.D. said...

And speaking of Ferrara MIA on Region 1 DVD, when's THE ADDICTION going to come out? It is one of THE best vampire films...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks guys...I thought of including both Mary and The Addiction as well...both are amazing. All of Ferrara's works should be out on DVD here. It is a shame.

Joe said...

The Addiction isn't available because it belongs (sort of) in the hands of classic cinema's biggest criminal: Universal. When October Films (which released The Addiction) went under, most of the rights went to Universal (same with USA Films), but I've heard from numerous sources that Universal has no idea what they do or do not own. Rather laughably, I believe the delayed release of Lost Highway had to do with the fact that Universal didn't even know they had it in the first place. I've e-mailed them about The Addiction, and I'm pretty sure they responded saying that there were no immediate plans to release it. Universal's uncertainty and their worthless track record of releasing DVDs from their library is also to blame for another recent, shameful M.I.A. film, the Dardennes' Rosetta which won the God damn Palme d'Or ten years ago.

I don't know what's going on with the new Ferraras. I was told IFC had both Mary and Go Go Tales, and I swear both were listed on their website at some point (I'm more sure about Mary than Go Go Tales). Mary was supposed to be released around the time The Da Vinci Code came out, which would have given the film some extra Mary Magdalen leverage... but the sequel to Da Vinci comes out in three months and we have yet to see a DVD of Mary. Sigh.