Friday, February 27, 2009

M.I.A. on Region 1 DVD Tribute Month (Film 27) Jonathan Demme's Last Embrace (1979)

Of the handful of Jonathan Demme films sadly not available on DVD, none are in more need of a release than his terrific 1979 thriller Last Embrace. I just recently got to see the film, and was really impressed by it and found everything from Demme’s controlled and inventive direction to Roy Scheider’s near career best performance to be just revelatory. Featuring the beautiful color photography of Tak Fujimoto and an evocative score by Miklos Rozsa, Last Embrace is yet another one of those masterful lost seventies classics that is deserving of a much wider audience than it has ever been granted.

Since I just finally got the opportunity to watch this film for the first time, I will not attempt any sort of real post. Consider these posters and lobby cards just a reminder that a Region 1 DVD is really needed.


Andrew Wickliffe said...

I have or had the MGM laserdisc. Beautiful transfer. I'd think MGM would get it out.

Marty McKee said...

I agree, this is a good movie. For what it's worth, Janet Margolin is buried in Westwood Memorial Park in L.A. right next to Burt Lancaster.

Ned Merrill said...

Glad you finally got to check this one out. I wrote a little something about it last year when Scheider passed away (it took until this year's Oscar ceremony for his loss to be "officially" recognized):