Thursday, March 12, 2009

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Hideo Nakata's Dark Water (2001)

***I am actually quite fond of Walter Salles' studio tampered with remake starring Jennifer Connelly as well. I hope Salles is able to release his original cut eventually.***


J.D. said...

I like Salles' version as well, even if it is inferior to the J-horror original. So, what kind of tampering did his version undergo?

Joe said...

I second or third the notion that the Walter Salles remake of Dark Water was quite good. I have yet to sit down and watch one single Japanese horror movie, so I took it as nothing more than a moody, mysterious psychological drama featuring some of my favorite actors - Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, Pete Postlehwaite.

I would also be curious to hear what kind of grief Universal gave the director.

PIPER said...

Hey Jeremy,

You've been tagged.

Keith said...

I also liked the remake. I do wish we had seen his cut. I'm always game to see anything that Jennifer is in. She's amazing. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks guys,
I have read in several different spots that Salles was upset with the final cut, which is why he didn't promote it much. I suspect it had to do with the film's final act...I would love to see him revisit because the cast and look of the film are extraordianry.