THE MOON IN THE GUTTER ARCHIVES

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON EXPANDING AND REVISING SOME OF THE BEST PIECES FROM MOON IN THE GUTTER AT MY OFFICIAL SITE, NOSTALGIA KINKY. THIS NEW PROJECT CAN BE ACCESSED BY CLICKING THE PICTURE BELOW.

THE MOON IN THE GUTTER ARCHIVES

Recent Posts from my Official Site

Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Hideo Nakata's Dark Water (2001)












***I am actually quite fond of Walter Salles' studio tampered with remake starring Jennifer Connelly as well. I hope Salles is able to release his original cut eventually.***

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Salles' version as well, even if it is inferior to the J-horror original. So, what kind of tampering did his version undergo?

Unknown said...

I second or third the notion that the Walter Salles remake of Dark Water was quite good. I have yet to sit down and watch one single Japanese horror movie, so I took it as nothing more than a moody, mysterious psychological drama featuring some of my favorite actors - Jennifer Connelly, John C. Reilly, Tim Roth, Pete Postlehwaite.

I would also be curious to hear what kind of grief Universal gave the director.

PIPER said...

Hey Jeremy,

You've been tagged.

Keith said...

I also liked the remake. I do wish we had seen his cut. I'm always game to see anything that Jennifer is in. She's amazing. Have a great weekend. Cheers!

Nostalgia Kinky said...

Thanks guys,
I have read in several different spots that Salles was upset with the final cut, which is why he didn't promote it much. I suspect it had to do with the film's final act...I would love to see him revisit because the cast and look of the film are extraordianry.

Moon in the Gutter (Month By Month)

BLOG CREATED, EDITED and WRITTEN BY JEREMY RICHEY: Began in DEC 2006. The written content of all posts (excepting quotes from reviews, books, other publications) COPYRIGHT JEREMY RICHEY.