Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Two I'm Looking Forward To


With everyone abuzz about long awaited upcoming archival releases from the likes of Resnais, Godard, Bergman, Antonioni and so on I thought I would offer up a couple of other discs coming this year that I am excited about.
First up we have Hugh Hudson's Revolution, his disastrous 1985 bomb which did no favors for its stars Al Pacino, Nastassja Kinski and Donald Sutherland. I've been reading about Pacino and Hudson's desire to revisit the film for years, so I am very intrigued by late May's release of Revolution: Revisited. Outside of being a new cut of the much maligned film, the disc also includes a conversation with Pacino and Hudson.
If the original theatrical version of Revolution deserved all the heat it took, then it can be said that John Boorman's beautiful Beyond Rangoon (1995) didn't deserve to be as ignored as much as it was. Boorman's terrific and moving film starring the always fascinating Patricia Arquette (an actress I should celebrate more here) has been a favorite of mine since I first saw it in its brief theatrical run nearly fifteen years ago. I'm glad that I will finally be able to pitch my old laserdisc dub of the film, and I am greatly anticipating this disc, which sadly only features a featurette as an extra.

4 comments:

J.D. said...

Wow, that's amazing news about REVOLUTION. That was a film I'd never thought would see the light of day DVD-wise and to have a new cut to boot...

As for Patricia Arquette, it really depends on the role. Her acting can be a bit on the wishy-washy side at times but I did enjoy her in LOST HIGHWAY and FLIRTING WITH DISASTER. Like any actor she has certainly had her share of duds (STIGMATA anyone?) but it's nice to see BEYOND RANGOON getting a proper DVD release.

Samuel Wilson said...

I'll second your recommendation of Beyond Rangoon, but I'm not so sure about Revolution. I didn't think Pacino's voice automatically killed the movie, like some reviewers did. I understood that it was meant to represent "working class" and it didn't bother me. I also dug the working-class viewpoint of the film overall, but in the end it didn't quite work for me -- though that may change now.

Steve Langton said...

Great! Releases for two films I saw at the cinema, and then watched sink into virtual obscurity. Be good to see Revolution again as I have a feeling I may look a little kinder towards it next time round, and Rangoon is a film I'm even more eager to revisit.
Been MIA from the blogs front recently , and am sorry I've missed a lot of your stuff. Hope to catch you daily again from this point on.

MovieMan0283 said...

Jeremy, if I'm going to ask someone it might as well be you...how the hell do I take screen shots of a DVD? I thought I could just use the standard OS X grab tools (apparently command shift 3) but a message pops up and tells me that I have to quit DVD Player in order to take a picture of my desktop (even though that defeats the whole purpose). I figured I'd finally take advantage of this great potential but now I can't figure out how.

And we won't even get into DVD-ripping for the moment...