Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Art of the Movie Poster: Peter Fonda's The Hired Hand

One of my favorite films from the early seventies is Peter Fonda's haunting debut as a director, The Hired Hand. The film starring Fonda with Warren Oates, in one of his best performances, remains quite a stunner and I was thrilled with its revival in the earlier part of this decade. I'm quite fond of both of these posters for it. One of which is the Italian version, with the other being an American one-sheet highlighting some of the film's critical acclaim:

The Hired Hand 2

The Hired Hand

Honestly neither one do real justice for the sometimes surreal and always moving film, but they are both still quite effective.

2 comments:

Joseph B. said...

Fonda is a very under appreciated actor turned director. While I do prefer "The Hired hand", his sci-fi film "The Idaho Project" is a great little film that deserves some discussion nowadays. I'm still trying to track down a copy of his other directorial effort, "Wanda Nevada", though.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Joseph,
I have yet to see The Idaho Project but really want to. I have seen Wanda Nevada and it's a flawed little film, but still interesting and very worth seeking out.

Thanks again for the comments.