Monday, April 27, 2009

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Michael Mann's Manhunter (1986)

This is the first of three, and possibly four, Michael Mann films that will eventually appear in this series. For more on this astonishing film, may I recommend you searching out the now rare Video Watchdog #13 as well Taschen's beautiful book on Mann written by F.X Feeney.
I would also recommend this terrific post by J.D. at Radiator Heaven.


J.D. said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jeremy! I really dug the screengrabs you picked from this film. They are really evocative of the film itself.

MANHUNTER was the first Mann film I ever saw and that was it for me. I haven't missed a film of his since. It is still my fave of all the Hannibal Lector films which have gotten progressive worse.

Peteski said...

A better agent and a better Lecter than "Silence of the Lambs". Its pretty faithful to the book (The Red Dragon) except for the ending. Its been in heavy rotation lately on the cable box.
Thanks, another great post.

Guillaume said...

Damn,these shots are so gorgeous!
I love when Petersen is touching the glass window,grabbing his own reflection/inner demon...very moody and dark.

There are so many great shots in this film...
Joan Allen's head and body lying on the tiger,the disturbing shot of the first victim slowly waking up,Tom Noonan's delusion (Joan "kissing" another man),Petersen seeing the woman with the "silver's eyes",the wide shot of the grass,after Graham's frantic run,the wide shot of Petersen and his son after Petersen's speech at the supermaket,etc!