Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One-Trick Pony From The Warner Archives


I received the Warner Archive DVD of Paul Simon’s One Trick Pony earlier this week, and I thought I would post a brief report on it. On the negative side, it is a DVD-R and the artwork is fairly plain and unimaginative, also the static main menu for the actual disc reminds me of some of the menus that graced so many early DVDS in the late nineties. There are no extras to speak of, save an advertisement for the Archives Series at the beginning of the disc. At 19.99 the disc is also overpriced and I hope that Warner’s might eventually lower the prices of these, or begin offering bulk deals of some sorts.
Now the good stuff: The film looks terrific and it was such a pleasure being able to watch it finally in widescreen the other night, plus the two channel stereo mix is solid if not earth shattering. I continue to be extremely impressed by the film, and re-watching it the other night reminded me of how big of an impact it had on me as a youth, particularly the last shot which probably helped shape the person I am perhaps more than I ever imagined.
Pricing and packaging aside I am quite thrilled with what Warner’s is doing. I am a bit concerned about the longevity of the disc as it is finally just a burned copy, but I trust Warners has at least gone to the trouble of using the best equipment and media for the copy they could. I can’t wait to see the next batch of titles the Archives will offer, and for now I am thrilled to finally have a decent copy of One-Trick Pony on disc.

2 comments:

Filmbo said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I also hope they offer bulk deals, maybe around certain holidays since I'm actually expecting to buy quite a bit from them, and 20 bucks is pretty steep.

I also wouldn't mind some sort of rental possibility with Netflix since I'm more interested in finally watching many of these than I am in buying them. We each can hope.

Greg said...

I watched this film several times when it was first on cable and bought the soundtrack on cassette. Both were eventually out of print and I've waited for years for it to be available again although I never imagined anyone besides me gave a crap.

It may sound funny, but whenever anyone, including myself, starts going on about principle or artistic integrity, I think about the ending of this film. That ending had a huge impact on me and the way I looked at things and still does.