Friday, May 15, 2009

A Recent Interview with Marina Pierro

A very kind reader notified that Moon in the Gutter favorite Marina Pierro had recently appeared at an Italian Convention, and that an interview had been posted at YouTube. It's remarkable to see Pierro again, and it makes me wish I could speak Italian! If some kind soul who happens to be fluent in Italian wishes to watch and translate the highlights in the comments I would be most appreciative. For my older related posts on this remarkable figure in European film history, please click here.



An extremely kind Italian reader was nice enough to offer a translation in the comments and I wanted to share it here as well. Thanks so much to him for taking the time to do this:

"How did you meet with Borowczyk?

I've met Borowczyk after his famous films "the Beast" and "Immoral Tales", when he came in Italy. I already knew him and his movies and I thought of him "he's crazy or a genius" and actually he was both. He was looking for me cause he was impressed by a picture portraying me; I wasn't so famous at the time so it was hard for him to find me. I was wondering why he looked for me and after a while he told me that, as a fan of Italian renaissance painters, he found in me the classic Italian figure.

Borowczyk and animation?

I discovered during our working collaboration that he was a master of animation pictures. After the first movie together I understood why his pictures where so controversial: people loved him or hated him but hardly understood his way of doing cinema. I suggested him to do a short movie to be seen before his films to explain to the audience what they will be see: I studied arts when I was young and I get easily that his way to tell a story was unconventional.

(This part is not so easy to understand in Italian too maybe cause I don't know exactly what she's talking about [Borowczyk and animation])

Then she praise the Trieste Film Festival as she finds the Borowczyk retrospective very interesting and respectful of the director production."

3 comments:

Gaetano said...

Hi I'm an Italian reader of your blog. I translated the interview but my english it's not perfect so sorry for the errors you may find.

How did you meet with Borowczyk?

I've met Borowczyk after his famous films "the Beast" and "Immoral Tales", when he came in Italy. I already knew him and his movies and I tought of him "he's crazy or a genius" and actually he was both. He was looking for me cause he was impressed by a picture portraiting me; I wasn't so famouse at the time so it was hard for him to find me. I was wondering why he looked for me and after a while he told me that, as a fan of italian reinassence painters, he found in me the classic italian figure.

Borowczyk and animation?

I discovered during our working collaboration that he was a master of animation pictures. After the first movie toghether I understood why his pictures where so controversial: people loved him or hated him but hardly understood his way of doing cinema. I suggested him to do a short movie to be seen before his films to explain to the audience what they will be see: I studied arts when I was young and I get easely that his way to tell a story was unconventional.

(This part is not so easy to understand in italian too maybe cause I don't know exactly what she's talking about [Borowczyk and animation])

Then she praise the Trieste Film Festival as she finds the Borowczyk retrospective very interesting and respectful of the director production.

Cheers

Gaetano

Jeremy Richey said...

Wow, Thanks so much. If you don't mind I am going to add this to the post so others can see the translation as well. Seriously, thanks again for taking the time to do this. It is appreciated.

Gaetano said...

You're welcome. It was quick and I was glad to help.