Monday, August 3, 2009

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop (1971)



Take it as a major tribute to my love affair with Two-Lane Blacktop that it is just the second film in this series that I have broken my own rule of just capturing ten stills.

Also, I have recently started using a new program grabbing my stills that allows me to capture them without having to do any editing. However this program does, on certain DVDs, retain the black bars in the frames. Please let me know if this in anyone takes away from the quality of the presentation, as I want to keep Moon in the Gutter as visually pleasing as possible (especially right now in this period where I can't write as much as I like). Thanks!























10 comments:

Ceasetodream said...

What program(s) do you use for your stills Jeremy?

Kika V. said...

great images!!

J.D. said...

Great stills! I love, love this film - one of the best nihilistic road movies of the 1970s.

I particularly enjoyed your stills of the late great Warren Oates. Nice.

Matt said...

Yep, what they said. Awesome.

P said...

La vida es esto. Prestémosle atención a los
detalles. Al calorcito humeante del pis, a sacar la basura, a viajar apretados
en colectivo. Si no disfrutamos eso, ¿qué nos queda?

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks everyone for the very nice comments. What can I say, it was such a great pleasure capturing stills from this masterpiece. I still feel like celebrating everytime I pick up my Criterion Collection of it.

CeasetoDream...I just started using Windows Media Player and it automatically makes a still when you hit Control-I. It's much easier than the Real Player-Print Screen-Then Edit option I was using.

chrryblssmninja said...

That ending hit me viscerally. Such a quiet yet powerful film.

Jeff Duncanson said...

Thanks for the stills - This is without doubt my favorite Warren Oates role. Taylor and Wilson are as dry and boring as a popcorn fart in this one, and when they are onscreen, I want them to go away so I can watch WO again.

I rememer his reply to the gay hitchhiker - "This is a competition - I got no time!"

You can't write a line any better than that.

Will Errickson said...

I "liked" this movie--that is, I'm glad I watched it but the *act* of watching it left me cold. I found it glacially-paced but still fascinating, like an Antonioni film. Fantastic climax, however, and Oates is at the top of his game.

Paul S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.