Tuesday, November 24, 2009

So What Was Your First Date Movie???

Wow, talk about feeling old. This morning while driving to work listening to Madonna's fabulous new best of collection Celebration, and having one nostalgic flashback after another, I suddenly realized that the 25th anniversary of my first ever 'date movie' was approaching. Yes, it has been nearly a quarter of a century since my mom dropped my eleven-year-old ass off at a theater to meet the girl I was 'going with' at the time to see Susan Seidelman's eternally amazing Desperately Seeking Susan. Realizing that it has been nearly 25 years since this all important occasion in my life made me feel simultaneously sad and strange, but mostly it just made me think on how much a life can change in a couple of decades.
I remember the day fairly well with the slightly embarrassing afternoon drop off and awkward evening pick up capping off what had been a nerve racking if nice experience. The 'date' was as innocent as it could get (basically imagine an Ozzie and Harriet episode set in the eighties) and the closest we got to contact over the popcorn we were sharing was holding hands for a few minutes about halfway through the film. And oh that film! I still adore Desperately Seeking Susan. I think it's one of the best comedies of the eighties and it makes the perfect double feature with Seidelman's incredible debut Smithereens (or Demme's Something Wild if you are so inclined, and you should be).
I became instantaneously hooked on Rosanna Arquette due to Desperately Seeking Susan during that first viewing and it remains Madonna's shining moment on film. Everytime I hear her joyous "Into The Groove" I flashback on that afternoon, Seidelman's film, Madonna in 1985, and the promise of my youth and I can't help but smile.
So the question is begging...what was your first date movie? Share your memories of your first date film, if you would like, and enjoy this tribute with some of the advertising materials that helped promote mine.
















10 comments:

derekhill said...

Romero's Day of the Dead at the old Broadway Theater in Portland, Oregon. I was sixteen and had just started seeing this girl a year younger. Luckily, she dug horror movies. We saw quite a few more the next year or so.

Troy Olson said...

Great story about your experience there! I love reading that kind of stuff.

FORREST GUMP is the answer for me. It was actually in a larger group, but it was my first date nonetheless. Actually, most of my dates that summer involved groups going to see movies -- STARGATE, I LOVE TROUBLE, IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU, JUNIOR, man I had a high tolerance for bad movies in high school.

I'm trying to think of my first "guy-girl only" date movie, but it's all so fuzzy now...sucks getting old.

Amanda By Night said...

Oh man, I love Madonna. I do, and I ain't ashamed to admit it! :)

My first date movie was either Beverly Hills Cop II or a double feature at the drive-in of Pretty in Pink and Wildcats. I can't remember now.

Both dates were pretty lackluster and the drive-in was a blind date. I did not enjoy his company and he left me in the car for the second feature (Pretty in Pink) and I didn't mind at all!!!

My first awesome date was Funny Farm!

Tony Dayoub said...

You're going to love this, Jeremy. My first date movie, also celebrating it's 25th anniversary, was Unfaithfully Yours, starring Nastassja Kinski.

The Vicar of VHS said...

It's become confused a bit in my mind, but my first date movie was either DRAGNET (the Tom Hanks/Dan Akroyd version) or TEEN WOLF TOO. I really hope it was the former. :)

I do remember that my second date with the girl I took to DRAGNET was THE GATE. We...didn't see each other after that. Of course I was bummed at the time, but now I see I was well rid of her. ;)

Tommy Salami said...

My first date movie was either Child's Play or A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors.
Nothing beats a scary movie for a date test. If she's scared and doesn't want to grab your arm... it's not meant to be...

Steve Langton said...

A re-run of Blood On Satan's Claw, with a girl named Roslyn Reilly. She left school a year or so later and went totally off the radar.
RR introduced me to smoking on the same night, which was a bad move. Had a chaperone that evening in the form of her best friend which was another bad move. Still, I got to see Linda Hayden in the buff for the first time so not a complete write-off.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks so much for all of your memories. It does seem to be a moment that really resonates, and I greatly enjoyed reading these.

LoquaciousMuse said...

The only movie date I've ever been on with someone who wasn't already a boyfriend was to see, wait for it, Y Tu Mama Tambien. Yeah. That was awkward.

Bunched Undies said...

Women in Love with Glenda Jackson & Oliver Reed. Wasn't much of a date...