Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Martin Scorsese's After Hours (1985)


Ed Howard said...

Sweet, this one's a definite favorite for me too. I love Scorsese's "smaller" films like this and King of Comedy. This film's going to be me in my own favorites series eventually as well. It's set in a dream/nightmare New York, simultaneously a celebration of the city's openness, and a parable about the dangers of adventuring outside one's comfort zone. The hero flees from the dullness and conformity of his working man's life, but then finds that he doesn't really have what it takes to live outside of those boundaries.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Ed,
I think this is one of Marty's greatest and most pivotal films, so I was happy to include it here. It's funny but I was thinking about that 'openness' you mentioned while I was capturing these stills and how my selections perhaps weren't capturing that. I love the claustrophobic and trapped feeling Scorsese also manages, which I suspect attrbuted to my selections. Anyway, it's a fantastic film and along with works like THE KING OF COMEDY and LIFE LESSONS it repressents some of Marty's best if often overlooked work.

Amanda By Night said...

I have never seen this movie! In the early 90s when I worked at a video store (and frequented the awesome 24 hour video store our town had!) I used to pick it up, look at it, want to see it, but would put it down and rent something else. I really need to see this. Everything I've ever heard is so positive!