Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Almodovar's Broken Embraces Announced for DVD

Pedro Almodovar's terrific Broken Embraces has been announced for DVD and Blu-Ray with a release date of March 16th. I'm happy to see the disc will come with some solid extras including a short film called "The Cannibalistic Councillor", a Q&A with star Penelope Cruz and two documentaries. I know the film had some naysayers but, as with pretty much every other Almodovar film, I really fell in love with it. I especially admired that it was a little looser (for lack of a better word) than Pedro's recent output and I like that it wasn't quite as controlled as say All About My Mother, Talk To Her or Volver. Also, I can't praise Penelope Cruise enough as she amazingly gets better and better with each film (and she was pretty damn good to begin with). Anyway, I wanted to give a heads-up on the disc for any fans that might have missed it in theaters.

6 comments:

Jeffrey Goodman said...

Hey, I've missed out on the last few Almodovar films. But I'm definitely gonna rectify that soon. I believe the last one I saw was TALK TO HER, which was an extremely memorable watch for me.

dfordoom said...

It's even getting a Region 4 release! I've added it to my rental queue.

Mike Lippert said...

This is good to know. It's a shame that, for the second time in a row, Almodovar gets the shaft come Oscar time.

Steve Langton said...

Thanks, Jeremy. We had to miss this at the cinema and have just rented the Blu to watch tomorrow on my day off work. For me, Almodovar hasn't put a foot wrong in years and I can't wait to see this.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Troy Olson said...

Well, I'm a neophyte of the cinema of Almodovar, as BROKEN EMBRACES is his only film I've yet seen. That said, I really liked it and the low ratings from others kind of points to the great things he must have done prior.

And yes, Penelope Cruz is incredible. Looking like that AND being able to act...wow.

Steve Langton said...

Really enjoyed BE. Well up to the high standards Almodovar sets for himself and in no way a disappointment.