Monday, May 31, 2010

Images From My All Time Favorite Films: Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie (1971)

There are several grey-market versions of The Last Movie floating around that I could have utilized to get better quality captures from but I wanted to celebrate the film as I have known it, as a blurry full-frame VHS copy with tracking problems. I also wanted to point out the ridiculousness of the fact that a film as brilliant and important as this one is still not available on DVD for a new generation to discover and be altered by. I suspect the long awaited special edition of this will arrive sooner than later now, but it is tragic that Dennis Hopper won't be around to see it happen. Needless to say, this post is dedicated to Dennis Hopper. My life-as a film lover and student would have been a lot less richer without him and his films...
















4 comments:

Mike Lippert said...

Interesting that you call this a masterpiece especially since it has gained a reputation over the years as being a disaster of a movie. I haven't seen it but now I want to even more. Let's hope for a DVD soon.

James Hansen said...

Great post Jeremy. I'm sure you're not surprised to hear that I agree BIG TIME. It's so incredible and, sadly, horrifically underseen (largely bc of availability issues). Kudos on highlighting it amid all the other choices in his great career.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks guys, sorry about the delay in commenting back.

Mike,
If we ever get a DVD I hope you will let me know what you think. Not sure if you have read it but this is just one of several of my all-time favorites of mine that appear in The Medved Brothers old Golden Turkey Worst Films ever book. It's right there alongside works like LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD and ZABRISKIE POINT.

James,
Awesome...so glad to hear you love and admire the film as well. It is terrible that it still hasn't been released on disc.

Jeremy Richey said...

Mike,
Excuse the silly typos on my reply.