THE MOON IN THE GUTTER ARCHIVES

I AM CURRENTLY WORKING ON EXPANDING AND REVISING SOME OF THE BEST PIECES FROM MOON IN THE GUTTER AT MY OFFICIAL SITE, NOSTALGIA KINKY. THIS NEW PROJECT CAN BE ACCESSED BY CLICKING THE PICTURE BELOW.

THE MOON IN THE GUTTER ARCHIVES

Recent Posts from my Official Site

Sunday, June 28, 2026

Charles Napier R.I.P.

I'm totally broken-up to hear that one of my favorite actors, and favorite fellow-Kentuckians, has passed away. The name Charles Napier might not be instantly recognizable to all move-fans but his face will be. One of our great character actors, Napier added a jolt of greatness to every film and television show he appeared in during his impressive four-decade long career. Napier was a ferocious screen-presence and he was a truly gifted actor. While he certainly appeared in many mainstream successes throughout his career, ranging from The Blues Brothers to Rambo to Austin Powers, I will always associate him mostly with the spellbinding work he did with Russ Meyer throughout the early seventies. I had the great pleasure of submitting a piece on my favorite Meyer film, Supervixens, earlier this year for a future publication and I wrote that Napier's work in the film contained a true 'terrifying genius', and I will always consider it one of the most disturbing and greatest performances I have ever seen on celluloid.
Charles Napier was one of the greats and I extend my best-wishes to his family and friends. When I finished up my degree at Western Kentucky University a few years back I took great satisfaction in knowing that on a daily basis I was walking some of the same steps that Charles Napier had. The man was a giant...on-screen and off.

2 comments:

le0pard13 said...

Fine tribute, Jeremy. One of the great character actors around. He surely did have a presence. May he rest in peace.

Dusty said...

Agreed wholeheartedly. There was an obit given on Brian William's newscast, and the Meyer films were oddly glossed over. A shame.

Moon in the Gutter (Month By Month)

BLOG CREATED, EDITED and WRITTEN BY JEREMY RICHEY: Began in DEC 2006. The written content of all posts (excepting quotes from reviews, books, other publications) COPYRIGHT JEREMY RICHEY.