Friday, May 10, 2013

From the pages of The Virgin Suicides: A New Generation's Companion to Film

 
Along with the mega-rare hardcover Virgin Suicides Japanese photo book from 2000 the most valuable collectable a fan of Sofia Coppola's first feature film can find is absolutely the promotional magazine A New Generation's Companion to Film.  This beautiful near fifty page zine is packed with interviews, color photos and behind the scenes shots from the film.  While it occasionally pops up on eBay copies are becoming more and more scarce so I thought I would share a few of my favorite quotes for fellow fans who perhaps don't have it in their collection.  Enjoy!
 
 

"The '70s were not any more or less interesting than any other decade.  The reason we're seeing a lot of movies and books about the '70s is because the generation that grew up during them is now coming of age.  When the '70s were actually happening, everyone felt terrible to be living in them.  We all felt dwarfed by the '60s.  It's only recently that people have begun to think of the '70s as anything other than the curse of aftermath."
-Jeffrey Eugenides-

"I didn't know I wanted to be a director until I read The Virgin Suicides and heard somebody was doing a movie of it but it sounded like they were doing it all wrong.  I felt protective of it, so I started to put down how I saw it and eventually had a script.  I guess when I did my short film, I realized that I knew more about it than I was aware, that maybe I could do it, and that it was so much fun.  Maybe because of who my dad is it was intimidating, so I think I sort of denied it to myself for a long time."
-Sofia Coppola-
 

"I felt closer in age to the kids than the parents-I know what that age is like, especially for the girls.  I did feel a little like a camp counselor at times, though.  It was interesting because a lot of them had never acted before, but Kirsten and a few other were so experienced and knowledgeable about filmmaking."
-Sofia Coppola-
 
 

"With The Virgin Suicides it was like summer camp because I had the other girls to hang out with...the week of rehearsals was really helpful.  It broke the ice and made it possible to shoot so much so fast...the best part is that I know what I want to do with my life.  I want to be a clothing designer and a director and a producer.  I want to do so much it's not even funny.  I feel really lucky that I know what I want.  I think I am a really old soul..."
-Kirsten Dunst-

"Kirsten is a very talented actress.  As she gets older, I think she'll be given the kinds of roles she an take care of.  Right now she only gets the roles that are out there for young kids, not so heavy.  I think that her role in Interview With the Vampire described the way she is...(she's an) old spirit, but she doesn't play it up.  She acts very young.  But she's got some amazing ethereal qualities to her."
-Josh Hartnett-
 
 

"I did a sort of common round of '70s research and then I did more regional research.  I looked at a lot of yearbooks, and actually a lot of photos from my own childhood were useful...for The Virgin Suicides it was a lot of sherbet colors.  But they weren't so much pale colors as light, because the girls aren't so much fragile as light...I trust Sofia's taste and I think she trusted mine, which was a load off my back since I had a lot of characters to dress...with some directors you need to teach them all about the clothes, but with Sofia, she just got it and she knew that I got it, so it was really easy."
-Costume Designer Nancy Steiner-
 

"The majority of the film is being scored by Air, a French band that Sofia loves...I really love playing with them.  the band is actually only two people-Nicolas Godin and J.B. Dunkel-but they hired two keyboardists, a bass player, and myself for their tour.  I feel really lucky to be able to record with them too...they've been asked to do soundtracks before but they've always said no.  I think they wanted to do their first with Sofia because it was her first movie too.  Their taste is similar, yet Air will add a dimension to the film that wouldn't be there otherwise...Those guys are really serious musicians and really serious listeners of music.  It'll be really interesting to see what they do with this film."
-Composer Brian Reitzel-
 
"In the book, the reader is never sure who the Lisbon girls really are.  They're like Cubist portraits viewed from multiple angles.  In the film, the Lisbon girls will appear more real, more finalized, because of the medium."
-Jeffrey Eugenides-
 
 



No comments: