Thursday, July 26, 2007

Where's The DVD? (Abel Ferrara's Mary)


Even though it is one of the most acclaimed films Abel Ferrara has ever released, the Venice Film Festival Prize winning MARY remains missing in action in America.
With an amazing cast including Juliette Binoche, Stefania Rocco and Forest Whitaker, the film has been called probably Abel's best work since NEW ROSE HOTEL or possibly even THE ADDICTION.
Ferrara is one of my favorite filmmakers and I have been really glad to see his latest films getting so much attention, which makes the absence of MARY on dvd all the more frustrating.


I heard a rumor that IFC films picked this up late last year for limited distribution but I haven't heard anything else about it since. MARY supposedly marked a real return to form for the great Ferrara, after the flawed 'R XMAS, and his career resurgence appears to be going strong with his new GO GO TALES drawing a lot of attention. Ferrara's films always seem to divide people but there are very few American filmmakers who affect me more than Abel and the clips I have seen of MARY make me think it is one of his major works.
I am close to breaking down and ordering an import of the film although I have read that it has some annoying forced English subtitles. If anyone reading might have any further information on an American release I would appreciate it.

4 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

This is a movie I've been really wanting to see. I can't understand why we aren't getting a chance to see it here in the States. It's got a wonderful cast, especialy Binoche (I love that woman).

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I think it looks great and Binoche is incapable of being anything less that fantastic.
I'll probably break down and order the import...thanks for commenting

Daniel Vella said...

I'm afraid I have no info about a release, but I was lucky enough to see the film. While I don't believe it is entirely successful, it is a very ambitious and clearly heartfelt film that tackles the theme of faith intelligently and achieves a strong emotional intensity. The performances are almost universally excellent (though Matthew Modine lets the side down slightly) and Ferrara directs with a sure hand. It's definitely worth picking up if you can find it...

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Daniel for the report. It really sounds like something I would love. Thanks for stopping by and commenting...