Monday, June 4, 2007

Mondays With Jane Birkin




Talent is apparently at least partially genetic as Jane Birkin's three daughters have an abundance of it. She had her first daughter Kate during her time in the sixties with famed composer John Barry. Kate Barry has gone on to be a successful photographer and an assistant film director. Kate has also inherited Jane's humanitarian streak and has worked as a drug counselor for recovering addicts. Kate also shot the fantastic cover shot for Jane's great album RENDEZ-VOUS and the promotional materials that went along with it.

Charlotte Gainsbourg was born in July of 1971 and she has gone on to become one of the coolest and most talented people on the planet. An award winning actress, activist and an acclaimed singer. The daughter of Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg is why the term 'cool' was invented. I'll be posting much more on her incredible, now almost 25 year old career of Charlottes at a later date. She's a real favorite.

Jane became involved with filmmaker Jacques Doillon in the late seventies after her relationship with Serge fell apart. Daughter Lou was born in September of 82. A talented actress as well as a model, Lou is currently appearing in Abel Ferrara's newest film GO GO TALES opposite Asia Argento. A couple of years ago she did a fantastic photo spread re-creating her mother's iconic role as Melody Nelson that garnered lots of attention.

Jane has the reputation of being a wonderful and supportive mother and remains extremely close to all three of her daughters. All three remain talented and positive role models in a world currently running on short supply.

4 comments:

cinebeats said...

I look forward to your further posts about Charlotte Gainsbourg! I've loved her in all the films I've seen her in and I thought her last album was terrific, but I don't know a lot about her.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I love Charlotte. She's such a fantastic actress and her new album has become one of my favorites of the decade.
Hope you enjoy any future posts I do on her...thanks for commenting.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I'm with Kimberly on this. I am interested in learning more about Charlotte. She's quite the fascinating woman. I have enjoyed her in the movies I've seen. I also love her music. She's very talented, but with those genes she should be. I definitely love these Mondays with Jane Birkin. You are doing a great job with them.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Rogue Spy,
Glad you are continuing to enjoy them...more on Charlotte soon here.