Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Dylan's Mysterious Gypsy


Damn, I think this is my first Bob Dylan post. Seems impossible, as rarely a day goes by when one of Mr. Zimmerman's songs isn't in my stereo or at least my head, but I do believe this short one will be my first.
I think one of Dylan's lasting legacies will be the overwhelming number of lost treasures buried within the grooves of his albums. This guy's catalogue is DEEP and even after years of listening to him I still find myself regularly stumbling onto a track buried between a couple of recognized masterpieces that totally blows my mind.
One such track is WENT TO SEE THE GYPSY from 1970's underrated NEW MORNING. The song, which chronicles the imaginary (or is it?) meeting with Elvis Presley is a real jewel. Who else but Dylan could write such a disarmingly simple song about meeting your idol, and then realizing that perhaps it was best to keep him at a distance? I find the final lines of this song, where Dylan speaks of watching the sun rising in a little Minnesota town, to be some of the most personal and pure in his catalogue.
It is a great little track and I am amazed that more haven't heard it. Someone put together this nice collection of Elvis candids to the song on YouTube so here it is for your listening and viewing pleasure.


So I guess it all begs the question. Did they or didn't they meet? I hope to God Dylan never tells. Some mysteries are better left unsolved. All my answers are in this touching track, and in the sound of Elvis' reverent voice when he says "Dylan" at the end of his beguiling snippet of I SHALL BE RELEASED from the early seventies...recorded perhaps not so coincidentally just after Dylan recorded this song.
Much like the famous Patterson footage of Bigfoot that still haunts my dreams, I hope the question of whether Elvis Presley and Bob Dylan ever actually met remains very much a mystery.

6 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Thanks for posting that video. Dylan is a musical genius and legend. One of the best. I would rather never know if this encounter ever happened or not. We need more mystery in life. People are always trying to dissect everything.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
I totally agree...

Pam Dyson, MA, PLPC said...

I gonna disagree and say I'd love to know if they ever met!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Pam,
Yea, if Dylan ever does reveal the secret I will be right there at the front of the line with you eagerly awaiting the details...thanks for commenting again

Anonymous said...

Jeremy,

Is that a real boot cd cover. Is there a link to it. I took a double take when I saw that. Will have to dig out New Morning this morning. Thanks man.

JB

Jeremy Richey said...

The collection itself is a boot but the stuff on it officially released. I wish E would have done more Dylan covers as the stuff he did do is really haunting and sublime...supernatural is the best word I can describe his version of Tomorrow Is A Long TIme