Monday, October 15, 2007

Dylan On The Road

Tim Lucas has posted a really interesting personal review of his first Bob Dylan show over at the always great Video Watchblog. I read this with great interest as I will soon be seeing the same tour, and I plan on posting my thoughts on it here afterwards. This will be the third time I have seen Bob and I am extremely excited about it. The first time I saw him was transcendent, while the second was disappointing mostly due to the audience so I am curious to see what this tour will bring.
Opening up is Elvis Costello, who has been transcendent each time I have seen him and I expect nothing less from him later in the week...Zimmerman and MacManus on the same bill, I am expecting my mind to be blown.

4 comments:

Rogue Spy 007 said...

Hope you enjoy the Dylan show. One of my favorites, Elvis Costello, is opening for him, so that should be awesome.

Steve Langton said...

Really hope you enjoy the show, Jeremy. Both are firm favourites of mine. I've never seen Dylan, but caught Costello live on 3 occasions and he delivers a tremendous show.

aaron said...

If you don't mind me asking, how long ago were the other two times that you've seen Dylan? Any notable highlights in his choice of songs?

My one time seeing the man in concert was back in August 2002 (in Halifax, Nova Scotia). What's amazing to me is that the night turned out to be the first official date I had with my girlfriend (and future wife) -- and what's more, it was also my birthday.

Looking forward to hearing more about the upcoming Dylan concert!

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith,
As you know Costello is one of my favorites as well so the two of them together on the same bill is amazing....

Steve, much appreciated and I agree completely on Costello's live shows. He has never been less than extraordinary the times I have seen him...I would say that one gig in particular with The Attractions on the Brutal Yuuth tour is probably the best rock show I have ever seen...

Aaron,
I first saw Bob shortly after the release of LOVE AND THEFT just after 9-11. It was a moving and ferocious show, and honestly the main numbers that stood out were the new ones, which he injected with a real passion and intensity.
The second time I saw him was at an outdoor gig in Luisville a few years back. He seemed tired and the audience was clueless. It felt more like a drunken frat boy party and you could tell it affected his performance...I actually heard one guy say when he started playing ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER, "Cool, he's covering Hendrix." It was really depressing...one of the main examples I have seen of an audience spoiling a gig.
I am super excited about seeing the new show and hearing some of his latest album's stuff live....thanks for the comments and I hope that answered your question...thanks for your great comments and personal story (what a great first date!!!)

Thanks to you all and I hope you enjoy my look at the gig later this week...