Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Idiot Wind


Since moving back to Kentucky about fifteen years ago one of the main points of frustration has been the lack of good concerts we get here. Inevitably I have to drive to either Nashville or Cincinnati to see a good show. Louisville does get some quality shows but they are pretty few and far between, and the gap seems to be widening. It has always struck me as odd since there are so many incredible venues, ranging from small sized clubs to larger arenas. Last night I was reminded as to why quality entertainment is becoming rarer and rarer around here, and it isn't the fault of the artists, the promoters or teh venue managers.
Here is a link to an article in yesterday's Louisville Courier Journal, written by their local music columnist. It is essentially a reminder as to the importance of both Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello. Why on earth is the local music columnist having to write this? Well, because it seems the people of the community just aren't buying tickets to see it, even though they are very reasonably priced.
So my tickets for tonight's show will probably be a lot better, because they have actually had to move the stage and remove the close to 10,000 seats they did not sell. That is a huge and depressing number, and frankly I just don't understand. It is the same feeling I got back in the early nineties when I witnessed Maureen Tucker and Sterling Morrison playing a gig in Louisville to about a dozen people.
It makes me angry at the community and a bit ashamed but it clears up why Kentucky doesn't get more quality artists. I suppose I will continue having to make the commute to either Nashville or Cincinnati, save for the what will probably become even rarer quality Louisville show.
I'm extremely excited for tonight's show but it bothers me that more people around here aren't. Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello have been two artists who have gone out of their way to not ignore Kentucky in the past, I'm not sure if that will continue after tonight's show.

2 comments:

Dana Kidder said...

I just stumbled upon your blog...

I saw them in Dayton last night in an arena that was barely half-full. The show was great, but the turnout was very disappointing.

Jeremy Richey said...

Glad the show was great, that is so depressing to hear about the empty seats...I just don't get it...thanks for commenting and I hope you find some stuff of interest here...