Monday, December 3, 2007

New Poll And A Kick Start To King Creole Week


Throughout this week I will be paying tribute to another one of my favorite films with a series of posts honoring some of its stars, its soundtrack and finally the film itself. Michael Curtiz's KING CREOLE (1958) is one of the definitive films of the fifties, and possibly the best film that Elvis Presley ever got to make. Originally written for James Dean, this Harold Robbins adaptation features incredibly evocative black and white photography, striking on location in New Orleans direction by CASABLANCA mastermind Curtiz, a killer soundtrack and Elvis Presley giving the best performance of his life. It also features one of the best roles of one of the great often forgotten stars of the period, Dolores Hart, as well as solid early supporting work from Walter Mattheau and Carolyn Jones.
The film career of Elvis Presley is often snickered at by critics and many film fans, but it should be remembered that this is a cinematic legacy that has influenced filmmakers ranging from Ranier Werner Fassbinder to Quentin Tarantino and actors from Christopher Walken to Asia Argento. There are a lot more vocal Elvis Presley film fans than most casual fans have a clue about, and I will be posting on some of them as well.
I have started a new poll focusing on some of Elvis best leading ladies that I hope everyone will participate in. I also hope everyone will enjoy the upcoming posts. Regular postings will continue throughout the week as well.

5 comments:

aaron said...

Dolores Hart reminds me of Phil Silvers in the forgotten, coming-of-age comedy THE CHICKEN CHRONICLES from 1977; in it, Silvers has one or two monologues lamenting Hart's decision to retire from the film industry, and become a nun. I believe the conceit is that the Silvers character has never been able to fall in love again...

Forgive the non-sequitur! It's been awhile since I've seen KING CREOLE, but I know it would be on my short list of "genuinely good" Elvis pictures (as opposed to entertaining, colourful fare like SPINOUT! or, my favourite, LIVE A LITTLE, LOVE A LITTLE.)

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks aaron...what a cool Silvers story, I have never seen that.
I must say that I really love LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE and will probably write on it here eventually. It is one of the most off the wall and kooky films he ever made...one of the most effective to.
Anyway hope you enjoy my upcoming look at KING CREOLE...

Cinebeats said...

King Creole has long been one of my favorite Elvis films and it is probably his best. The musical number he does with Kitty White on the streets of New Orleans is one of my favorite musical numbers in any film ever made. It never fails to floor me!

Carole said...

KING CREOLE is definitely 2nd on my list, following sentimental favorite LOVING YOU.
I enjoy good blogs about Elvis and look for more.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Carole,
Hope you enjoy the upcoming posts...