Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Most Incompetent Film Of The Year (or how Revolution got off the hook in less than two hours)


Regular readers here at Moon In The Gutter probably realize a couple of things. One is that I rarely write on films that I really hate…I mean I’m not getting paid for this so why waste my time? Two is that Al Pacino is my favorite American actor, which is the reason I am going to briefly break my first rule here for this post.
Jon Avnet might not be the worst director working in Hollywood today but, if judging 88 Minutes is any signal, he might be close. 88 Minutes is easily the worst film Al Pacino has ever appeared in…it makes the likes of Author Author (1982) and Revolution (1985) seem downright inspired. Avnet’s film is also the worst film I have seen this year, and I hope to God I don’t have to sit through anything quite as bad again for quite awhile.
The most regrettable thing about 88 Minutes is just how great of a cast it has. Joining Pacino is everyone from Amy Brennaman to William Forsythe to Deborah Karr Unger to Leelee Sobieski…all fine actors who no doubt signed on for the chance to work with Pacino.
The unbearably bad script is credited to Gary Scott Thompson so all the blame can’t be placed at Avnet’s feet, but most of it can as 88 Minutes looks like it was directed by a blindfolded man who has never touched a camera before. The idea that it is also Avnet who directed the upcoming Pacino and DeNiro film, Righteous Kill, makes me heartbreakingly leery of what should be a historic collaboration.
I’m glad that I don’t have to refer to Revolution as Al Pacino’s worst film anymore but trudging through the dismal 88 Minutes was still one of the most depressing and dispiriting experiences I have had in quite a while. Thank God Pacino is currently filming a picture with the interesting Gattaca and Lord of War creator Andrew Niccol as the great man deserves much better than the likes of Jon Avnet and 88 Minutes.

6 comments:

Lastyear said...

You know a movie is in trouble when the only blurbs are from Earl Dittman. Even worse than Diary of the Dead or Penelope. It even gives 10,000 BC early competition as worst of the year.

Lastyear said...

You know a movie is in trouble when the only blurbs are from Earl Dittman. Even worse than Diary of the Dead or Penelope. It even gives 10,000 BC early competition as worst of the year.

J.D. said...

Jeremy: Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way, but AUTHOR! AUTHOR! is a guilty pleasure, from the cheesy theme music, to the gaggle of kids that Pacino has to work with, each one mugging for screen-time... And people wonder why he doesn't do more comedies? Actually, in a strange way, this is a comfort movie for me and I find myself watching it whenever its on TV.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks JD,
Actually I kind of like AUTHOR AUTHOR as well...I just know it typically gets named as one of Pacino's worst...sorry if that came out wrong. Any film where I can watch Pacino working with Tuesday Weld is good by me...plus I am sucker for those early eighties Stephen Bishop theme songs!!!
As always...thanks

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I had heard from a few friends who are big Pacino fans that this is a horrible film. I had planned to wait until it hit DVD to see it now. Now I'm not so sure I even want to waste my time. Sorry to see that Pacino was in such a dud.

J.D. said...

Yeah, Pacino and Weld in the same film together is pretty sweet. Knowing his love for the theater, I always wondered if the film was a personal project for Pacino and how hard he took it when it tanked thereby scaring him off doing comedies for most of his career.