Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Operation Screenshot (Films of the 2000s): Steven Soderbergh's Solaris (2002)


James Hansen said...

I'm sure there is much disagreement about this "remake" of the Tarkovsky film, but I think it is pretty damn good, and one of the greatest debacles I have ever had at a movie theater (my "Mulholland Drive" experience is the capper, but "Solaris" is a notable 2nd.) I went to this with my dad, mom, and aunt (a big sci-fi fan)...Dad and mom HATED HATED HATED it. My aunt and I thought it was pretty remarkable, but I still get jabs about how bad my parents think this film is. They aren't big on sci-fi and certainly aren't familiar with Tarkovsky, but the placement of this in mainstream movie theaters is a bit of an anomaly. Beautiful images here for sure...I should revisit this film sometime soon.

Ed Howard said...

Huh, I admit I always kind of dismissed this considering my affinity for the Tarkovsky film. But the images here have given me pause. Looks fascinating, with a very different visual aesthetic from the original. I should have known better. Everybody dismissed Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake too, and when I finally saw it I realized it was, while not exactly a good film, definitely an interesting conceptual experiment worth seeing and thinking about. I have to get over my automatic dismissal of remakes, it seems.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks James and Ed,
I knew this would be a pretty polarizing choice as people seem to really love or hate this picture.
I was actually a bit under-whelmed by it the first time I saw it at theaters but for weeks after I couldn't get it out of my almost felt like a vivid dream I had that I couldn't shake.
When I saw it for a second time on the big screen I was totally blown away by it with the problems I had had on that first viewing just being hypnotized away.
Two of the biggest selling points for me (outside of the obvious visual ones) are the performance by Clooney, which I think has more weight and gravity to it than almost any other star turn from the past decade, and the incredible score from Cliff Martinez that is among my favorite albums of the decade.
I just find the film insanely moving and its thoughts on the nature of love, spirituality and death have haunted me since I first saw it over five years ago.
I love the original as well (which is why I am tipping my hat to it with the current template) but these are two very distinct films for me...anyway thanks again for the comments.

J.D. said...

Yeah, this is a real oddball of a film and amazing that it got pushed through the studio system. Of course, it probably didn't hurt that you had some very heavy hitters backing it up - Soderbergh, James Cameron (?!) and Clooney.

I always really liked Natascha McElhone (esp. in THE TRUMAN SHOW and RONIN) and always thought that she is something of an underrated actor. I was shocked to read on her Wikipedia page that her husband died recently. Very weird.

It's a shame she hasn't done more high profile work. I would've thought that such significant parts in TRUMAN SHOW and RONIN would've led to bigger and better things but maybe she shunned those kind of offers.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Jd...I was sorry to hear about her husband as well. Very sad stuff...and like you I am surprised that she hasn't gone onto more great things.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I've never seen this one. I guess I wasn't sure if I would like or not. I heard so much mixed reaction about it. I guess it's definitely worth a look then.

Jeremy Richey said...

Please check it out really is a wonderfully hypnotic and powerful experience.