Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Dario Argento's Mother Of Tears: The Region One Cover Art

Dario Argento, Asia Argento, Mother of Tears
Here is the cover art for the upcoming American DVD of Dario Argento's controversial Mother Of Tears. I have had a lot of folks email or comment asking me why I haven't posted on this film yet and the reason is because I haven't seen it. I haven't been able to afford an import of it and have resisted downloading what might be an inferior copy. I was hoping it would play at a theater within driving distance but that unfortunately didn't happen.
As an enthusiastic supporter and lover of late period Argento I am extremely curious to see what I will think of the film as I know it has divided his fans perhaps unlike any other. Ironically the film has received some surprising support from publications that typically don't like Argento's films ranging from Film Comment to Variety to The New York and Los Angeles Times.
No matter what I end up thinking of it, I am glad to see a new Argento film hitting DVD here apparently uncut and with some extras (the DVD reportedly has a documentary as well as an interview with Dario). It streets in September, just before the time of the season when I find myself gravitating towards Argento's films more and more.

9 comments:

James Hansen said...

I actually saw this in theaters in New York where, despite Nathan Lee's blazingly positive review in The Times, it only played for one week before getting trimmed to one showtime a day and then it was gone. I haven't seen a lot of Argento (I know...I know...) and really enjoyed MOTHER OF TEARS for what it was. It characters aren't particularly well drawn, but the mythology is bizarrely fun and I thought this was pretty damn entertaining. I meant to write a full review for Out 1 once I watched some more Argento (I actually just saw SUSPIRIA for the first time), but never got around to it. Maybe I'll double back and do something eventually. I'll be interested to get your take on it once the DVD is out.

James Hansen said...

Wow...I just reread my grammar in that comment...apparently I need to go back to school.

:)

Steve Langton said...

Like James, I'll be interested to read your review when this DVD comes out. We only had a few film fest screenings over here and were lucky to get an early release on DVD. I know MOT has received mixed reviews, but I suspect those who like it will be surprised by exactly why they like it. Hope you enjoy the DVD.

Rogue Spy 007 said...

I never had a chance to see this one either. It never came around here. I've been wanting to see it. I have seen a lot of mixed reviews on it. That doesn't change my desire to see it. I'll make my own mind on it. I am big fan of both Dario and Asia Argento. I look forward to your thoughts on this film when it is released here in the USA.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks everyone for the thoughts...I am extremely curious to see it and will absolutely post on it once I do.

J.D. said...

I loved the first two films in this series and am really curious to see what Argento does with it now that so much time has passed. I will definitely be giving this a looksee.

Guillaume said...

I really liked MOTHER OF TEARS,it is an entertaining,audacious and crazy wild ride!

I'm glad that MOT received some pretty positive reviews from serious US magazines and sites!

In France,the reviews about the film are mostly "cold" but at least our dvd and blu ray seems to be cool!

Guillaume said...

Jeremy,can i find on line the Film Comment's review about MOTHER OF TEARS??

I'll be interested to read this review.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks J.D. and Guillaume for the continuing comments...I will try and pull out that Film Comment and let you know...