Monday, August 4, 2008

A Project Worth Taking On

Rollin
Just over twelve years ago, courtesy of Video Watchdog #31, I fell in love with the cinema of French director Jean Rollin. Since discovering his work, his films have been a real passion of mine. I've been lucky collecting Rollin over the last dozen years as I have managed to get everything from the Laserdisc version of The Living Dead Girl, to the rare CD collection of his soundtracks, to the amazing limited edition autographed Virgins and Vampires book to almost all of the import Encore Box sets of his films.
I've been frustrated by the surprising lack of Rollin related sites online and have wanted to do something special for him since starting Moon in the Gutter a year and a half ago.
So coming in mid to late August will be a new project dedicated to the career of this most distinctive filmmaker, entitled Fascination: The Jean Rollin Experience. It will be set up like my Nastassja Kinski blog where I will be writing on all aspects of each one of his films including the soundtracks, promotional materials, as well as his actors and collaborators. I'm looking at this new endeavour as a rather epic term paper and will be drawing extensively from the wonderful Virgins and Vampires book (I have signed copy 294 out of 300!) as well as the exhaustive supplements on the Encore releases and will of course credit anything I use. The goal is, simply put, to create the most informative and visually exciting Jean Rollin spot on the web.
Help will be appreciated and credited so if anyone as any rare Rollin materials they would like to share please email me and let me know. I will be finishing up collecting the available Encore DVDs soon but will still be missing some of his short films, his French books and most of the films he did under the pseudonyms of Robert Xavier and Michel Gentil, so any help down the road will be much appreciated.
This new project will not affect Moon in the Gutter or Nostalgia Kinky but I will be either putting both How The Web Was Woven and Harry Moseby Confidential on temporary hiatus or will severely limit the posting. Harry Moseby will be the least affected of the two as it is mostly visual and it has a much bigger fanbase.
Fascination will begin in a few weeks and I must admit that I am excited about it. I hope it proves to be an informative and entertaining site for fans and that it might even convert some doubters.

7 comments:

Steve Langton said...

Really excited by this announcement. Jean Rollin really does deserve a site which will give his work the analysis and recognition he so richly deserves. I have no doubts that you are just the guy for the job, and look forward enormously to following your work on this worthy project.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Steve,
I am looking forward to revisiting all of the films and learning more about the great man and his career myself. Hope you like it once I get it going...

Ryan P. said...

Fantastique, sir. I can hardly wait!

Ryan P.

Will Errickson said...

You are unstoppable! While I've been aware of Rollin for many years it wasn't until the DVD revolution that I was able to finally see his movies. Some are great (I prefer Lips of Blood most of all I think), some are not (I did not dig Night of the Hunted, despite the presence of Bridget Lahaie), but he definitely deserves someone of your talent and dedication introducing his work to more people. Best of luck and I will be reading!

colinrudge0380 said...

That sounds a fantastic project! Rollin certainly needs a site dedicated to his work and I look forward to seeing your pieces on Killing Car, Shiver Of The Vampires and so on!

The King Of Cool said...

Wow! That's great news. Sounds like another wonderful project from you. I can't wait. I'm a fan of his work, but am always looking forward to learning something new about him and his career. He definitely deserves this. Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll do an amazing job with it.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thansk everyone for the very nice comments...I hope everyone enjoys it when I get it going in a few weeks...