Sunday, September 7, 2008

Way to Go Mickey!

venice ITL
Mickey Rourke, an actor I have championed since nearly day one at Moon in the Gutter stunned audiences over the weekend with his performance in Darren Aronofsky's upcoming The Wrestler, which took home the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. No less that Wim Wenders had this to say about the film and Mickey's performance, "This is for a film with a truly heartbreaking performance in the very sense of the word, and if I say heartbreaking, you know I am talking about Mickey Rourke."
The Wrestler, Aronofsky's follow-up the the majestic and criminally maligned The Fountain, will hit theaters later this year and Mickey is being touted already as an Oscar contender. I must admit, that after following Mickey's career for more than twenty years now and always considering him one the great actors when a lot of people would smirk at the mention of his name, that this news brings the biggest smile to my face possible and equally big tears to my eye. Way to go brother...

6 comments:

Steve Langton said...

Aronofsky and Rourke. What a team-up! I consider Rourke to be one of the finest actors of his generation, and Aronofsky made me sit up and take notice with his stunning debut and his 2nd feature was one of the most intense experiences I've had inside a cinema (made all the more harrowing because we caught the premiere at the London Film Fest, and had heard practically no advance word as to the films theme and content). If this gets even close to being a career best for either or both men, we are in for one hell of a film.

J.D. said...

This is great news. I have been a fan of Rourke's ever since seeing RUMBLE FISH back in the day. It's nice to see him finally get some long over due recognition for his talent. I think that his turbulent personal life has often overshadowed his professional and he burned a few bridges in Hollywood in his day so it's rather fitting that he hook up with another maverick like Aronofsky. It looks like Benicio Del Toro's Che performance is gonna have some stiff competition at all the award shows this year.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks to you both...this news really did bring tears to my eyes as a long time lover of Mickey's work. I really hope they don't forget him again come Oscar time and I can't wait to see the film.

The King Of Cool said...

That is awesome news. I'm so thrilled. I've always been a fan of Mickey, both through his ups and downs. It's great to see him give a killer performance and people recognize that. It's nice to see his career get some attention. Often times his personal life did seem to get more notice than his acting.

Ned Merrill said...

We've been talking a bit about Rourke's great breakout "one-scene performance" (technically two) in BODY HEAT over at MHVF:
http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/index.php?showtopic=10099

Hopefully, Rourke's "comeback" in THE WRESTLER, will be the one that sticks. Based on some of the preliminary quotes from Rourke about repairing his broken image and reputation, this could be the one.

Jeremy Richey said...

Thanks Keith and Ned...everyone who has seemed this seems totally blown away by what Mickey has pulled off. Ebert posted some high praise today and even went so far as to call it a career best performance...I just pray the Academy doesn't overlook him again...